[Peace-discuss] A Note on Our Elusive Pundits, Lawyers, & Sophisters

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 23 18:00:11 UTC 2021

Here are some examples of the innovative and  “creative” pseudo-defenses used against accusations concerning the systemic mendacity, fraudulence & lying propaganda in political & religious matters that now pervade our communications media and public life.
All are increasingly being used to evade legal liability and being held accountable for falsehoods in our “post-truth society.”

=>  I am an entertainer in showbiz, not a reporter or newscaster; what I say is therefore to be judged only as entertainment.  It is not meant to be taken seriously as the literal truth about anything. (— Alex Jones of Infowars, Sean Hannity)
=>  My statements (charges, accusations ) are legally protected pleading and free speech (First Amendment !), obviously so bizarre and absurd that no reasonable person could have taken them seriously.  (— Trump attorney Sidney Powell)
=>  The “Babylon Bee” dodge:  The cutesy-smartass stuff we publish is brilliantly clever satire, irony and sarcasm.  It therefore cannot be taken at face value as the literal truth by any literate, intelligent person.  (Don’t blame us if you are not bright enough to discern the true intent and purport of our material !)  It is therefore not legally actionable as defamation.  (— E.g., “Controversy As Catholic Church Decides To Deny Communion To Satanic Goat Worshipers.”)
   — RSz.