[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Fwd: Stokely on Black Power

karen aram karenaram at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 18:01:29 UTC 2021

Well John, had Africans in South African actually gained power they might not be suffering the exact same conditions they are now. The end of apartheid brought freedom, but freedom to do what, it didn’t change any of the conditions of poverty, lack of education, healthcare, housing, jobs, clean water, and the crime there is one of the worse in the world.

Check out what is taking place there now with Covid, etc. Or read Naomi Klein’s "Shock Doctrine," which covers this issue a bit. In short they gained freedom at the expense of allowing foreign investment by corporations come in and exploit.

In the US, we ended racism with the civil rights marches didn’t we?

It’s true we have many AfroAmericans now receiving an education, rising into positions of power, the professions, etc. We even had a Black President didn’t we? Did he improve the lives of any Black people? No, other than his own, in fact the AfroAmerican communities are worse now than ever. Yes, some have benefitted and thats a good thing. However, the majority of AfroAmerican communities have continued to suffer poverty, poor education, poor housing and healthcare, unhealthy water, and other environmental conditions. Many white people suffer poverty etc, its not just AfroAmericans but always the AfroAmericans suffer the most.
So many died just getting out the vote, and for what, to have a system that gerrymanders them out with rules and regulations making it difficult, and then putting individuals into power that do nothing for them? Even if the individuals are sincere, it matters not because individuals lack power.

Our mass incarceration is a perfect example. It began under the Nixon administration as a continuation of preventing a rise of AfroAmericans as the Panthers, and SNCC which I am particularly fond given they were clearly on the right path. By the way, Stokely was only a Panther for one year, for many reasons. His points were very much shared by Fred Hampton, Elaine Brown and others who recognized just putting individuals in power meant they would be coopted by the organizations, not necessarily corrupted, but …..there are other podcasts which have them discussing this issue in the “80’s” not Fred he was already dead, because he dared unite with white racist activists from the south,  convincing them that their suffering was the same as Black Africans. The US could never allow such unity.

Just look at today, how many AfroAmericans have died by shooting in the back by police with impunity. It matters not what the race of the police happen to be, and it’s not just a matter of one bad apple, it’s systemic.

As to “freedom," yes I’m sure there are millions of people across the globe ever so grateful for US assistance in gaining their freedom, by way of US imperialism with financial debt, bombs, drones, sanctions, etc. Libya, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, just to name a few of the most obvious.

To gain power one must focus on class and those who suffer from poverty related to capitalism. Stokely and others recognized that we need system change, if we’re to improve the lives of not just some, but all.

I recommend “Ready for Revolution,” by Kwame Ture aka Stokely Carmichael.
Michael Hudsons 3rd edition of "Super Imperialism.”
Vijay Prasad’s  “Bullets Over Washington.”

And, many more.