[Peace-discuss] "Isolate Unvaxxed From Society" says Noam Chomsky

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Oct 27 02:08:11 UTC 2021

"Isolate Unvaxxed From Society" says Noam Chomsky -- Jimmy Dore with Max Blumenthal
analyzing Noam Chomsky's most recent interviews
https://youtube.com/watch?v=IpEch0McjZ0
https://rumble.com/voa4ds-isolate-unvaxxed-from-society-says-noam-chomsky.html

Source material: Noam Chomsky's most recent interview with Primo Radical
https://youtube.com/watch?v=TzWcP2b4uZ4

(excerpt from above) Noam Chomsky on Vaccine Mandates
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_neyVp-rI

(excerpt from above) Noam Chomsky on Biden Forgiving Student Loan Debt
https://youtube.com/watch?v=GEtvBxYz-gU

I think that Jimmy Dore has better arguments than Chomsky on multiple points in this
and Dore has the evidence to back the argument that Chomsky's views are
indistinguishable from what Dore calls the "shitlib" view when uttered by others. I'm
glad Dore pointed out that Chomsky is frequently allowed to get away with making
assertions without sources.

I also disagree with Chomsky's focus on speeches and talking points from politicians
instead of analyzing voting records. That Primo Radical interview has Chomsky not
referring to votes but reacting to party talking points on issues of substance. In my
view, the talking points don't matter. They're glib PR statements designed to corral
progressives and the left into supporting the neo-con/neo-lib Democratic Party. Max
Blumenthal touches on this in Chomsky's support of AOC. But virtually every AOC video
Jimmy Dore has done shows how she talks progressive to sheepdog progressives into the
Democratic Party (or she gives word salad nonsense to run out the clock on an
interview when she doesn't have better talking points to hand). Nowhere in Chomsky's
analysis do you find critique of strategic voting (like letting some "Squad" members
vote 'present' while others support/reject a bill) which allows just enough votes for
something to go the way the big donors want.

I agree with quite a bit of Chomsky's past work (such as Manufacturing Consent) and I
think highly of it (both the book and documentary in which Chomsky starred). I never
agreed with Chomsky's 'lesser evil' electoral advice and I don't agree with his
distinction between enthusiastically supporting Democrats vs. holding one's nose and
voting Democrat -- either way one is voting for the Democrat. That is a bullshit
distinction aimed at trying to trick/manipulate people into voting for the Democratic
Party. But this Primo Radical interview, like one of the letters Chomsky recently
signed which echoes his advice to keep voting Democrat even as that party does
horrible things, shows what Chomsky now stands for. Perhaps it's good that, as
Chomsky said in that Primo Radical interview, he doesn't care a whit for his legacy.

The one point raised on the Jimmy Dore segment I don't agree with is Blumenthal's
decision not to interview Chomsky because doing so (which would include countering
Chomsky's evidenceless views) would be "elder abuse". Max Blumenthal mentioned this
early on and gets into this more in detail around 44m 44s. I don't know where Chomsky
gets his information, and I don't think he spoke a lot of truth in this interview.
But I also don't think he's lost his mind akin to a person with dementia. Chomsky is
speaking full and complete sentences (of largely rubbish) with his full consent and
knowledge, he's holding forth on matters of the day as he's done for decades. There's
no evidence that anyone tricked Chomsky into doing these utterly embarassing
establishment-serving interviews. Primo Nutmeg's questions put to Chomsky were to the
point, remarkably open-ended, and in no way manipulative. Chomsky had no problem
challenging questions which he thought ought to have been reframed, made more
specific, or with points that need to be divided up and addressed separately. It's
fine for us to disagree with what Chomsky said even as we defend the eminent sense he
used to say in his interviews and speeches. The "elder abuse" response seems to me
like Blumenthal is saying that by not interviewing Chomsky, Blumenthal is looking out
for Chomsky's better interests here but that's not Blumenthal's call to make.