[Peace-discuss] A proposed guideline in ethics

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 21 23:15:01 UTC 2021

1.  General acceptance of the Buddhist maxim that life is suffering.
2.  The general guideline is always: is the judgment/action/policy under consideration the one most likely to reduce — or to minimize — the sum total of human pain & suffering in the long run?
3.  Probably the answer is unknowable; we will never know what the right answer is. But, almost always, some answers are far more justifiable than others.
4.  So, it is for us to do the best we can with all the information, intelligence & wisdom available to us, individually & collectively.
   — RSz. 092121