[Peace-discuss] New Twitter.com, say hello to the old Twitter.com

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Apr 25 23:09:32 UTC 2022

Elon Musk according to https://twitter.com/pic/media%2FFRNsuSFWUAUW6aP.jpg%3Fname%3Dorig

> Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital
> town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated. I also want
> to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features,
> making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and
> authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to
> working with the company and the community of users to unlock it.

Jimmy Dore & co. are currently misinterpreting what "open source" means in his live
show. In this context, at best, you'll have some way to see which functions are
suppressing your speech on twitter.com. Twitter's servers are their computers, not
yours, and your contributions there are hosted on their servers, not your computer.

But Dore & co are getting some other points related to Musk buying Twitter completely
correct such as the hypocrisy of liberals complaining about free speech or the Jeff
Bezos' Washington Post complaining about billionaire-owned media.

As Caitlin Johnstone rightly pointed out (in
https://twitter.com/caitoz/status/1518634880707735552 and
https://twitter.com/caitoz/status/1518635890092183552 -- reformatted below) what you
won't get is free speech despite liberal fearmongering[1].

Caitlin Johnstone wrote:
> I'll start paying attention to Musk's talk about free speech as soon as Russian
> media stop being censored here and accounts suspended for criticizing
> establishment empire narratives like @RealScottRitter get restored. Until then
> I'll assume he's at most only interested in protecting speech that doesn't
> threaten the powerful like Republican partisan bullshit and hate speech against
> marginalized groups.

[1] As explained by Jimmy Dore in
https://rumble.com/v115vec-041522-4-musk-buys-twitter.html or
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9NDteYDJ6ns