[Peace-discuss] Pointing out Apple's slave labor should probably not be done by people not pushing you to "transfer cash to Apple"

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Feb 2 23:10:11 UTC 2022

I wrote:
> It's disappointing to see that Greenwald is using Callin, a service where "live
> shows can be heard only with an iPhone and the Callin app — the app will be very
> shortly available on Androids for universal use" because Greenwald is effectively
> pushing his audience (to some degree) toward getting an iPhone. This is a clear
> break with the sharp and largely correct criticism of Apple he put in the same
> article.
>
> It's hard to know what to recommend to Greenwald as a replacement until we know
> what he gets out of being on Callin and why he rejected other solutions. Big Blue
> Button (https://bigbluebutton.org/), Jitsi (https://jitsi.org/), and Jami
> (https://jami.net/) are free software chat apps that might be useful instead
> because they work with all of the major OSes (desktop & mobile).

It looks like Glenn Greenwald is now (as of today, 2022-02-02) chastising David
Crosby for "forcing anyone who wants to listen to [Crosby's music] to transfer their
cash to Apple, while they are linked to multiple instances of profiting from *slave
labor*, reveals a lot about whose lives are valued and whose aren't." per
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1488972631382667267 which I saw via Jimmy
Dore's pointer to that post.

But Callin, Greenwald's chosen service for doing live shows, also pushes people to
get a device that can run iOS which is the only operating system where Callin runs.
There might be plans to port Callin to other OSes but that hasn't happened yet, as
far as I know. Therefore the only such device is an Apple device which means
"transfer[ing] their cash to Apple".