[Peace-discuss] [Peace] 3pm today: "EMERGENCY: Is the US going to war with Russia over Ukraine?" Code Pink webinar

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 03:53:08 UTC 2022

I wish I could also have been on tonight's call about Yemen.   That
seems like a fight that could be won in the near term.

I don't know whether we can affect the frantic rhetoric over Russia.
Maybe a little.   Of course it isn't new, just more extreme.   When
Oliver Stone came to speak at Ebertfest in I think 2014, he was pointing
out then, that politicians with support of media had returned to Cold
War language.    Even if it never turns into a hot war, marinating
ourselves in aggrieved blood soaked rhetoric is bad for our already
unhealthy national mind.

I don't want to see advocates of addressing either cause dismissing
people who want to address the other.    It's pointlessly ugly.

And as was pointed out on the Code Pink Ukraine call today, the latter
influences the former: it will now be /harder/ to get Congress to close
the Saudi/UAE war spigot because of the warmongering over Russia.

I've taken (some) actions in support of Yemen and against our provision
of weapons for the Saudis/UAE in the past.    I'd be happy to take them
in the future.   I hadn't heard until this morning about tonight's Code
Pink mobilization for action on Yemen.

Robert, I hope you will continue letting the peace list know of events
like that.   It does us a good service, and may bring in some supporters.

      Stuart