[Peace-discuss] An exchange

Boyle, Francis A fboyle at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 4 18:30:12 UTC 2022

Thank you Karen. Fab.

Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign IL 61820 USA
Phone: 217-333-7954
Fax: 217-244-1478
(personal comments only)

From: karen aram <karenaram at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 4, 2022 12:17 PM
To: naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Cc: Brussel, Morton K <brussel at illinois.edu>; Peace Discuss <peace-discuss at anti-war.net>; Ricky Baldwin <baldwinricky at gmail.com>; Levy, Stuart A <salevy at illinois.edu>
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] An exchange

Please read the second, third and fourth paragraphs below, these are the solutions. Solutions that are critical to ending the war, and if implemented when some of us were suggesting they be implemented, there might not be a war. Waiting until it begins and then just bashing Putin, blaming  Russia, isn’t going to stop the war. As Americans we need to take responsibility for that which we are responsible and stop blaming others.
From International Prof. Francis Boyle:
"Stop the war.
This war in Ukraine must be immediately terminated before it expands and sucks in the European NATO members and the United States.
Toward that end, President Joe Biden must publicly announce that NATO expansion is over for good and that Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova will not be joining NATO as member states.
Biden must also call for an international peace conference for the creation of a treaty that will establish the permanent neutrality of Ukraine guaranteed by the United Nations Security Council under Chapter 7 of the U.N. charter.
Then negotiations can take place between the United States and Russia over the de-nuclearization of Europe, including the removal of U.S. tactical nuclear weapons from NATO states that are there in violation of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and a restoration of the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty that was so foolishly and recklessly terminated by the Trump administration.
Then a new round of the Conventional Forces in Europe Treaty negotiations should be conducted in order to substantially lessen the tensions on land, sea and air between Russia and the U.S./NATO states, including over the emplacement of alleged U.S. anti-ballistic missile sites in Europe that threaten Russia.
Make no mistake about it: The origins of World War I and World War II hover like twin Swords of Damocles over the heads of all humanity.
FRANCIS BOYLE