[Peace-discuss] Is Ukraine invasion equivalent to US/UK invasion of Iraq?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Sep 5 23:44:21 UTC 2022

Chris Hedges' interview of Peter Oborne in
https://therealnews.com/the-chris-hedges-report-ukraine-and-the-worthy-and-unworthy-victims-of-war
(video at https://youtube.com/watch?v=UFdVgxZddso) talks about the "worthy" and
"unworthy" victims as described in Hermann & Chomsky's famous book "Manufacturing
Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media". As Hedges put it in his introduction:

> This bifurcation of the world into worthy and unworthy victims, as Edward Herman
> and Noam Chomsky point out in Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the
> Mass Media, is a key component of propaganda, especially in war. The
> Russian-speaking population in Ukraine, to Moscow, are worthy victims. Russia is
> their savior. The millions of refugees and the millions of Ukrainian families
> cowering in basements, car parks, and subway stations are unworthy Nazis. Worthy
> victims allow citizens to see themselves as empathetic, compassionate, and just.
> Worthy victims are an effective tool to demonize the aggressor. They are used to
> obliterate nuance and ambiguity.
>
> Mention the provocations carried out by the Western Alliance with the expansion of
> NATO beyond the borders of a unified Germany, a violation of promises made to
> Moscow in 1990, the stationing of NATO troops and missile batteries in Eastern
> Europe, the US involvement in the ouster in 2014 of Ukrainian president Viktor
> Yanukovych, which led to the civil war in the East of Ukraine between
> Russian-backed separatists and Ukraine’s army, a conflict that has claimed tens of
> thousands of lives, and you are dismissed as a Putin apologist. It is to taint the
> sainthood of the worthy victims, and by extension ourselves. We are good. They are
> evil.

And to his credit, Hedges brings up some things that don't get covered much in
establishment media such as what he brings up in the second paragraph of the quote above.

One could also point out that Ukraine signed the Minsk accords in bad faith as Petro
Poroshenko told news outlets that "Our goal was to, first, stop the threat, or at
least to delay the war – to secure eight years to restore economic growth and create
powerful armed forces." -- see
https://www.rt.com/russia/557307-poroshenko-comments-minsk-agreement/ for more).

One could also point to Boris Johnson's April 2022 visit to Ukraine urging Ukraine to
break off peace talks with Russia (according to
https://www.pravda.com.ua/rus/articles/2022/05/5/7344096/ cited by RT in English
https://www.rt.com/russia/555038-ukraine-peace-talks-johnson/).

But according to Oborne (in a view unchallenged by Hedges), we should see Putin's
February 2022 invasion of Ukraine as being the equivalent of Tony Blair and G.W.
Bush's invasion of Iraq -- each of these men are unconvicted war criminals.

It seems to me that attempting peace accords between Ukraine and Russia is
significant in light of an advancing threat from NATO countries toward the east,
right up to the border of Russia. I'm unaware of a threat to the US from Iraq that is
akin to the eastward push up to Russia's border by NATO. But, like in establishment
media, this view gets no airing in the Hedges interview. Equivalency established, the
Hedges interview then turns to what will justify prosecuting Putin as a war criminal
but continuing to not prosecute Bush & Blair as war criminals: