[Peace-discuss] Recommendable recent videos on freedom of speech

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Aug 30 02:50:29 UTC 2023

Videos I've seen recently which happen to share a theme of freedom of speech.

On Grayzone being kicked off GoFundMe and GoFundMe donors having their money seized
(both in the Grayzone case and in other cases such as the recent Canadian Trucker
Protests)
https://rumble.com/v3ctjl9-gofundme-sides-with-fascists-silences-grayzone.html
https://rumble.com/v3d1ncs-system-update-show-139.html

Glenn Greenwald interviews Julian Assange's father
https://rumble.com/v3d1gys-julian-assanges-father-tells-glenn-how-he-may-finally-go-free-system-update.html

Chris Hedges Report

Was Shakespeare a woman? [Who wrote the plays attributed to Shakespeare?]
https://youtube.com/watch?v=TmcpGENoRzs

Related:
Shakespeare and the politics of the 21st Century
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VNaSweNb9Co

How liberal comedians became lap dogs for establishment power w/Lee Camp
https://youtube.com/watch?v=y9sx0PWSe5w

My note: Unfortunately Lee Camp violates his own objection in the section on "woke"
comedy (starting around 16m 32s) talking about "woke" humor where he points out by
17m12s that:
> people have a right to be offended; if you hear a comedian who, to you, is
> offensive, and you storm out of the show, that's your right. Now saying, I need to
> make sure that this person does not have a career is a step too far, generally
> speaking. So I think both sides are wrong on this; I think the pendulum often
> swings back and forth on this, in American history there was a time when blackface
> was quite common on American stages and now it's, rightfully, not. You know, and
> these things swing back and forth.

He later says that "people have a right to hear that form of comedy" regarding
transsexual comedy.

Why would one have a right to hear Dave Chappelle's trans jokes but not anyone's
blackface jokes? And shouldn't we evaluate the blackface jokes on the entire joke (as
Camp recommends for the other jokes which offend causing them to leave the show)? It
seems to me like a missed opportunity in the discussion.

I take seriously Camp's objection to telling light or silly jokes about people in
power (such as who fell over, who said a gaffe) instead of telling jokes that never
threaten power. That's why I think Camp's "Redacted Tonight" show was the only
late-night comedy show worth seeing. He didn't pull punches that every other late
night comedy show I saw pulled.

I also concur that Dave Chappelle has not been "cancelled" (which I take to mean
establishment publisher shunning). I'd say the same for J.K. Rowling (author of the
Harry Potter books) and Ricky Gervais (standup comic) because:

1. They're all millionaires. Each of those artists have enough money to never have to
work again. They each have so much money that they can pass on a life-changing amount
of money to their inheritors.

2. They all make millions for the publishers they work with. Chappelle's specials
make lots of money for Netflix (hence he gets more Netflix deals), similarly for
Gervais (who has comedy specials and TV series as well), and publishers continue to
purchase exclusive publishing rights on the next Harry Potter thing. This is hardly
surprising considering how lucrative Harry Potter-based anything is. At no point
during Rowling's alleged "cancellation" did they stop selling copies of Harry Potter
movies, books, nor did they shut down the Harry Potter rides on account of said
"cancellation". Leaving out Rowling from some TV special is about as spineful as her
"cancellation" ever got.