[Peace-discuss] Fw: The shocking nomination

moboct1 at aol.com moboct1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 9 02:27:36 UTC 2023

 Subject: The shocking nomination

Biden blatantly disregards human rights by nominating Elliott Abrams

Over the 4th of July long weekend, President Biden quietly nominated Elliott Abrams to the U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy.

Hardline neoconservative, architect of catastrophic interventions and coups in Latin America — someone who embodies the complete opposite of public diplomacy — yes that Elliott Abrams is the one Biden nominated.

His recent stint as Trump's special envoy to Iran and Venezuela should be a glaring reminder of his approach to foreign policy and reckless disregard for humanitarian concerns. And who could forget that Abrams' past includes pleading guilty to two counts of withholding information from Congress during the Iran-Contra scandal.

It is deeply disturbing that Abrams, who deliberately misled Congress and the people of the U.S., is now nominated to a diplomatic post. It’s incumbent upon President Biden to swiftly reconsider this nomination and demonstrate a commitment to upholding human rights.

Sign now and add your name to this petition and show the White House that they can’t sneak this nomination through. President Biden’s nomination of Elliot Abrams to the U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy is completely unacceptable.

| ACT NOW |

We understand that the U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy is a non-partisan commission and President Biden is expected to nominate Republican candidates as well. But Elliott Abrams should never have been considered in the first place — let alone actually receive the nomination.

Abrams' record includes a horrific endorsement of human rights abuses. His actions during the Reagan era, when he downplayed reports of a massacre in El Mozote, El Salvador, and supported Latin American death squads, are gruesome.

It's a stark reminder of his consistent negligence and reckless disregard for human life and dignity. The thought of such a person serving on the U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy is disgraceful.

Critics, human rights advocates, and all those who value democratic principles agree that Abrams' nomination is indefensible. His legacy of deception and brutal policies tarnishes any commitment by President Biden to human rights and global diplomacy.

We must ensure our voices are heard loud and clear, stating that we do not accept this nomination and that Abrams should have no place in any Democratic administration.

Join the collective call to action against Elliott Abrams' nomination to the U.S. Advisory Commission on Public Diplomacy. Democracy, transparency, and human rights must be upheld in the face of this nomination.

Thank you for working for peace,

Sam, Eric, Raimy, and the Win Without War team

P.S. Here’s a clip of Rep. Ilhan Omar questioning Elliott Abrams on his disastrous record during a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing in 2019.

| Donate
 |
| A U.S. foreign policy rooted in human rights and justice won’t happen overnight.
 If you’re with us for the long haul, consider a monthly donation.

| Win Without War is a 501(c)4 organization and donations are not tax deductible. If you would like to make a tax-deductible contribution, please visit the Win Without War Education Fund here. |

© Win Without War 2021
 1 Thomas Circle NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20005
(202) 656-4999 | info at winwithoutwar.org