[Peace-discuss] The Growing Pro-Palestine Protests Are Becoming a Mass Movement

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Nov 11 03:55:01 UTC 2023

C G Estabrook via Peace-discuss wrote:
> https://jacobin.com/2023/11/pro-palestine-protests-washington-dc-mass-antiwar-movement

I'm not so sure that I'd call the pro-Palestinian protests an antiwar movement (being
against one conflict isn't necessarily opposing so many of our other extant conflicts
and isn't clearly against foreseeable conflicts), but I'm glad to see opposition to
killing more Palestinians at all and doing so with American tax money. I don't think
that the evidence is there to say that the protests are going to stand against
continuing our ongoing occupations (including about a third of Syria, the oil-bearing
third according to Pres. Trump, bases in Africa, Iraq, and surrounding China).

I'm also surprised how quickly and how thoroughly the Israel lobby (as Mearsheimer &
Walt put it in their book "The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy") has lost
control of the narrative. People are not buying the idea that opposing bombing Gazans
is opposing Jews. There are even establishment repeaters that aren't going along with
this (former AIPAC employee now CNN employee Wolf Blitzer and MSNBC's Joy Reid to
name a couple). Those two clowns are no guide on how to properly consider any armed
conflict, to be sure, but it shows that there are some cracks in the establishment.