[Peace-discuss] Are the lies of the elites being outed as lies more quickly than in the recent past?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Oct 27 00:39:58 UTC 2023

US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan's now redacted 'Foreign Affairs'
article[1] in PDF form still contains what Jeremy Stern called "deleted gems" in a
recent post to Twitter/X[2]:

Jake Sullivan wrote each of the following quotes:
> “The Israeli-Palestinian situation is tense, particularly in the West Bank, but
> in the face of serious frictions, we have de-escalated crises in Gaza and
> restored direct diplomacy between the parties after years of its absence.”
and

> When Biden became president, “US troops were under regular attack in Iraq and
> Syria…Such attacks, at least for now, have largely stopped.”
and

> Biden’s “disciplined approach frees up resources for other global priorities,
> reduces the risk of new Middle Eastern conflicts, and ensures that US interests
> are protected on a far more sustainable basis.”

and

> “We have acted militarily to protect US personnel, and we have enhanced
> deterrence, combined with diplomacy, to discourage further [Iranian] aggression.”

and

> “the region is quieter than it has been for decades. The progress is fragile, to
> be sure. But it is also not an accident... [Biden's] approach returns discipline
> to US policy. It emphasizes deterring aggression, de-escalating conflicts, and
> integrating the region...”

Foreign Affairs removed these paragraphs from the HTML version at
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/united-states/sources-american-power-biden-jake-sullivan .

Be careful when you search the PDF--PDFs without text included in the file are
written to list text only one physical line at a time. Sequences of words that span
physical lines (like "summit in September" on page 23) might not be found whereas
searching for "summit in" and "September" in separate searches will be found. Results
will vary with PDF readers.

It seems to me that the elites are more clumsy in their lying and more people are
able to expose their lies faster than ever before.

[1]
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/system/files/pdf/2023/FA_102_6_ND2023_Sullivan_print_edition_version.pdf

[2] https://twitter.com/JeremySternLA/status/1717242321178448111