[Peace-political] Letter to The Octpus

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 16 20:16:50 CDT 2001

I have just sent this to The Octopus.

310 W. Hill St., #1E
  Champaign, IL 61820
September 15, 2001

To the Editor:

Many people say it is too soon to talk of politics, that we need time
to grieve and vent our emotions.  But I also need to vent my
emotions, precisely by addressing the political issues.  Some say
these were cowardly acts, but these horrible crimes were committed by
people prepared to die for their cause. As intelligent people, we
must be prepared to investigate why people would commit suicide to
advance their aims.  We have seen a call for unity, but unity for
what?  We all hurt, but that does not mean we should stop thinking
and mindlessly rally around whatever actions President Bush might
take.  And if we wait to start thinking, it will already be too late
to try to effect our Government's initial response.  I am very
worried that American bombs will kill many innocent people in other
countries even before this letter gets published.  I am concerned
that our civil liberties may be eroded in the name of increased
security with no practical benefits.  And we are already seeing
attacks on innocent Muslim people here in the United States.

I want to relate my personal experience. In August 2000, just over a
year ago, I participated in an international library meeting in
Jerusalem.  It was a quiet time, just before the latest deadline for
signing an Israel--Palestine peace treaty.  I was staying in a
beautiful small Palestinian hotel in East Jerusalem just outside the
walls of the Old City.  There was a marvelous international Arab
music festival going on over a period of weeks, and the hotel owners
were involved in the festival.  After the nightly concerts, the
musicians would come back to the hotel for long and spirited dinners.
But everyone there knew that there was a terrible cloud hanging over
their lives.  It was clear that there would be no peace agreement.
The debate was on whether or not the PLO would declare a Palestinian
state after the September deadline.  The pros and cons were discussed
but never resolved.  The people of East Jerusalem expected more
violence. Some talked of the possibility of a new full-scale war.

The hotel was affiliated with a small unique Palestinian tour company
that took tourists to various places in the West Bank and Gaza.  I
came a few days early and went on tours to Jericho and Gaza.  The
Gaza trip has left an indelible impression in my brain.  The tour van
left us off at the VIP border crossing. They were not allowed to
drive through.  We were instructed to get our permits, walk through,
and look for another tour van on the other side.  As we went through
the formalities, we saw the normal border crossing a short distance
away where long lines of people, many with heavy loads, waited hours
to cross to go to their jobs on the other side.  The Israeli military
gave us nasty looks, but stamped our papers quickly.  We found the
van and on the other side and drove off.  I will never forget our
tour of one of the many refugee camps there.  People are packed into
very tight spaces; whole families share small rooms.  The streets are
much too small for cars, in some cases just the width of a single
person.  Many people still have their keys for the homes that they
had to flee in 1948.  They were still thinking that they might be
able to go back someday if only there could be a peace treaty.  But
only a token number of returns were ever even discussed in the
negotiations.

Back in West Jerusalem, the international meeting was a disaster.
The Israeli Organizing Committee had excluded all Palestinians, and
opened the meeting with Zionist political rhetoric. The Palestinians
and other Arab delegations boycotted the meeting and held an
alternative meeting in Cairo.  Even at a library meeting, it was
clear that the peace process was dead.  I came away fearing the worst
but I did not think about how the Middle East war might come home to
the US.  I, like most Americans, am just not used to thinking in
these terms.  But we should have seen it coming. The Israel and
Palestine conflict provides the context for everything else in the
Middle East.  Whether the current atrocities are directly or
indirectly related is a minor point.  The whole region is inflamed
when the war heats up in Israel, the West Bank and Gaza.

But criticizing Israel and US policy towards the Middle East is a
taboo in the United States.  I know this from hard experience.  I had
great reservations about writing this letter and opening myself up to
more harsh criticism. Nevertheless, we can't hide our heads in the
sand forever.  People need to speak out.  It is no secret that the US
gives Israel billions of dollars every year and supplies the most
advanced weapons.  Amnesty International and many others have
documented that Israel uses these US weapons to collectively punish
the Palestinian people by destroying infrastructure, bulldozing homes
and restricting travel to jobs. The Israeli Government does not hide
the fact that it engages in torture and in assassinations of leaders.
The widening cycle of violence results in more and more dead and
wounded.  But the Israeli Government will have no incentive to
negotiate as long as the US backs it in the full measure of its
brutality.

The current Israeli Government has dramatically increased the level
of violence as a matter of policy.  But Israel and the United States
will never win the Middle East war through military means. There can
be no technical solution.  The war has come to the US now.  It is
time to face the music and see the failure of US foreign policy.
Terrorism is a result of despair.  More military actions will only
create more despair and therefore more terrorism.  But there is a way
to address terrorism.  The solution is actually very simple. We need
to demand that those billions of US tax dollars go to create justice.
For a start, the US can become a member of the International Criminal
Court and use judicial means to solve terrorist crimes. A long-term
solution can only be achieved through a thorough reexamination of US
military and foreign policy.

Al Kagan
--

Al Kagan