[Peace-political] Summary?, Peace Rally Tonight

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Thu Sep 20 14:01:08 CDT 2001

Hi-

In case you didn't hear, a peace rally has been scheduled for the U of I
quad (Union end) at 6 p.m. this evening (Thursday, September 20).  The
timing is appropriate with the US sending more of our military to the
mideast.  Tell everyone you know!

Does anyone who attended this morning's meeting with Tim Johnson have time
to summarize the meeting for those who weren't there?  I'm afraid I don't
have time right now.

I'll fill you in on one thing, though:  At around noon, I received a call
from Matt Bisbee, letting me know that a Peoria TV station invited Tim to a
public forum on the trajedy, scheduled for some time next week.  (Can
anyone at U of I try to pull off a public forum at Foellinger, to which TJ
and other public representatives can be invited?  It sounds like he needs,
and may even be seeking, the invitation.)

Matt also asked this question:  If the US has a choice between killing
civilians and putting the US at risk of terrorist attack, which would I
choose?  I think this is a question that many people are asking, and he
didn't pose it as an attack against us or as a representation of Johnson's
position.  I explained that I didn't think it was a fair question and that
we should find a way to keep the US safe and not kill civilians.  I drew an
analogy to racial profiling, and pointed out that to make some people in
the US feel safer, some police forces "pre-emptively prosecute" people
based on their skin color.  We oppose that.  I said it would be a mistake
for the US to take a similar policy to a global scale, but with much more
grave results.  i.e. it would be a mistake to wage war against a nation and
kill civilians ("collateral damage") for the acts of a small group, in
order to make people in the US feel safer.  To prosecute and kill people
without due process of the law is anti-American, I argued.

Obviously, these are not tight arguments, but he got my point and thanked
me for the discussion, as he himself is still trying to figure out how to
respond to the attacks.

Thanks,
Peter