[Peace] AWARE 7/6 meeting notes

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Jul 6 21:45:39 CDT 2003

AWARE meeting notes of 7/6/2003. Facilitator—David Green

• Carl gave his weekly report on important news; it will be posted.
Al noted that Mohammed ??? [of World Harvest] had been to Iraq and
mentioned to Al that there were many more casualties there than is
reported in our news media.
Al suggested that we invite Mohammed to our next meeting to tell us
about his impressions of conditions in Iraq. This was agreed upon.
David pointed out the possibly important connections between our
national economy and foreign policy.

• Al reviewed the discussion of last week bearing on 1) racism, 2) a
mission statement, 3) Process.
	A working group on racism will meet Thursday at 7pm at Al’s place.
	Mission statements are posted. It was tentatively agreed to adopt,
with small modifications, Mort’s mission statement. People are
encouraged to comment on the statement. These will help to form the
definitive statement.
	As for “Process”, it was agreed that in cases where consensus does not
occur at a meeting, a vote of 90% will be needed to effect an action.
This action may be revisited upon someone’s desire, who may not have
been present at the vote,  at a following meeting. David passed out a
sheet reporting on “process” issues the group may want to take into
consideration.

•Working Groups:
The July 4 parade. Ricky reported that the float—with the theme “war is
bad for education” was quite well received, better on Lincoln Avenue
than on Florida. No violence was encountered and only a few negative
comments. A round of thanks was extended to all who participated in
making the float, arranging to having it in the parade, making signs,
and marching in the parade (25 folks joined the parade). The float was
shown on local TV and briefly reported in the N-G as having a different
kind of message from the usual. Congratulations were extended for a
fine and effective job.
Carol inquired about AWARE joining the Labor Day parade. It could be
coupled with the Living Wage effort. It will be considered at a future
meeting. A working group will have to be formed.
The Town Hall meeting. Matt gave us his impressions, as did others. All
agreed it was a great success, and should be repeated, either
periodically, or as events dictate. David Inge of WILL was said to be
quite happy the outcome, although worried before the event. He will be
contacted about future town meetings. Some expressed regret that there
wasn’t a more balanced discussion between those wanting more security,
a la the Patriot Acts, and those critical of such acts. Susan pointed
out the extended range of WILL and thus how important it was to have
the meeting broadcast. Al had two criticisms: 1) there were no Muslims
on the panel, 2) there were too many men. Finally, Sharon will write a
“Thank you” to WILL [c/o David Inge/Kimberly Kranich] on behalf of
AWARE for arranging and carrying out the meeting so succesfully.
Farmers Market activity. Durl showed the results of a poll on questions
about the meaning of the American flag. There were a wide variety of
that he had no trouble in leafleting at the market. All the signs
saying “Peace is Patriotic” were sold. More will be provided.
A pamphlet about military recruitment of high schoolers was distributed.

•Upcoming Events.
	A CCHCC dinner on 7/19. Robert wants to arrange an AWARE table. See
him about it. The group agreed to buy ($65) a quarter page ad in the
CCHCC booklet. Ricky asked the question: What do we put in it? This is
to be decided.
	Charlotte reported on an activist group, the Omaha Citizens Against
Mass Destruction, who are organizing a protest of a Stratcom(?) meeting
by military bigwigs in Omaha on August 1-3. Soliciting support by
attending. See the website-- www.sos.2003.com -- for more information.

•Amorphous ideas presented
	Sharon wants us to think and act more positively, not only reactively.
	Carol wants us, in the light of the recent and continuing casualties,
to use the “Support our Troops” motif to say that the troops will only
be safe and Iraq less bloody(?) if we bring them home.

Submitted by MKB, who  apologizes for errors and omissions.

Morton K. Brussel
2003 George Huff Drive
Urbana, Illinois, 61801-6203
Tel. 217 337-0118