[Peace] AWARE minutes

Peter Rohloff rohloff at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 4 08:53:46 CST 2003

Here are the minutes for 3/2/03. Sorry they are delayed.

Jeff Sowers, facilitating.

1. Introductions

2. News of the Week (Carl absent):
	Turkey says no to US deal on military bases; more developments likely
to follow
	US Administration raises the bar: Saddam must resign
	AFL-CIO passes anti-war resolution
	Demonstrators in Italy blocking military cargo trains
	US is wire-tapping NY homes/offices of other members of UN security
council
	"Star witness" against Iraq not so shining: see press release and
transcript at
			http://www.fair.org/press-releases/kamel.html

3. Fellowship of Reconciliation presentation. Jay, Charlotte, Rebecca,
and Paul gave brief overview of nonviolence training, 4 steps of
nonviolent interactions. 1 hour followup session to be scheduled for
those who are interested in the near future.

4. Prospect for Peace: 85 people this week. Tires Plus is getting more
and more vigilant about towing cars. We need to pay more attention to
new people who may not know this. A 'security' group is forming to deal
with issues of organization, educating newcomers, interactions with
police, etc.

5. Finance: Gabe and Linda meeting with Raia this week

6. Door-to-door flyering. There was a good bit of discussion about
getting this activity off the ground. As a start, we are meeting this
Wednesday, 6 pm at the IMC. We will then be going to a neighborhood in
Urbana and flyering the houses. Randall is coordinating more efforts
like these: email him at recotton at earthlink.net

7. Speaker's bureau. Efforts are being made to revive this. Focus this
time will be a bit more on trying to arrange speaking engagements,
outreach to the community, etc. Organizational meeting at Sharon's
house, 7 pm, Tuesday night (1106 W Church, Champaign).

8. Music benefit for AWARE. April 13th. More to follow.

9. Day of war event: Need to start spreading the word on this more
vigorously. Flyers are available for distribution to churches. Call
Jeff at 384-0945 for more information.

10. Miscellaneous: (a) Scott Ritter's film "In Shifting Sands" at the
IDF thursday, march 6 (b) Oxfam hunger banquet rescheduled for March 8,
5-7 pm (c) PRC is sponsoring a "Women against War" rally on Friday,
March 7th, noon on the U of I quad. The rally is open to all genders.
(d) the 85% coalition is sponsoring a screening of "The Celluloid
Closet" and a discussion of current Illinois legislation on gay rights
Wed, March 12, 7 pm, at the IMC.

"He tried to sing, singing
not to remember
his true life of lies