[Peace] PBS "war preparatioons" coverage

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 12 13:43:56 CST 2003

PBS interrupts pledge programming for this special programming.  It will
give those who need it the context for the buikldup to war.  As you tune in,
please remember how much independent programming WILL-TV brings to you and
support us if you can.

Kimberlie
***********

PBS has been in discussion with the producers of FRONTLINE and NOW WITH
BILL MOYERS concerning the current state of global tensions dealing with
Iraq, the U.S. and its allies, and the United Nations. We believe the
immediate potential for war and the increasing international pressure to
prevent the confrontation from igniting warrant changing the March
program schedule to accommodate an examination of the situation and a
look back at how we have reached this juncture.

To that end, we are changing the prime time schedule for Monday, March
17th to accommodate a special 3-hour evening dedicated to addressing
these issues. We know that a number of stations will still be in pledge
on March 17th. There is no doubt that ongoing pledge activities are
fiscally critical, but it is equally important not to overlook the
escalating international situation by taking advantage of these special
programs. We believe Monday -- the first night outside the "official
national pledge dates" -- is an appropriate place for this to occur.

The programs unfold as follows:

We will begin at 7:00 p.m. CST with "The Long Road to War" a FRONTLINE
Special Report (NOLA: LRTW)
observers believe President Bush may soon signal to weapons inspectors,
diplomats and members of the press that Iraq will come under fire and
they should leave the country. Once again, the U.S finds itself about to
battle Iraq, although this time it will likely not be part of a grand
coalition. How did the nation come to the brink of another war with
Saddam Hussein? In this two-hour special "The Long Road to War,"
FRONTLINE draws on its extensive archives of more than 12 years of
reporting on Iraq to tell the history of the U.S. confrontation with
Saddam. The special will examine how the West armed Iraq, the mind and
methods of Saddam Hussein, the origins of the first Gulf War and its
ragged end, the frustrating effort to disarm Iraq through U.N.
inspections, how Saddam survived efforts to undermine his power, and the
long-standing effort by Washington hawks to remove him.

Following FRONTLINE at 9:00 p.m. CST, we present a NOW WITH BILL MOYERS
SPECIAL EDITION (NOLA: NMSE)
Saddam Hussein and bring democracy to Iraq. Now they are worried about
being betrayed. NOW reports on Iraq after Saddam...and a newsmaker
interview. And....an analysis of the American media and the drums of
war.