[Peace] Your efforts against news fraud pushed the FCC to act

Timothy Karr, Campaign Director list at freepress.net
Thu Apr 14 21:53:17 CDT 2005

Dear Media Reformer,

Your efforts have paid off. The Federal Communications Commission and Congress are now taking steps to stop news fraud.

Last night, the FCC instructed all newscasters to fully disclose the origin of "video news releases" (VNRs) aired on their programs. The FCC took this action as a direct response to the more than 40,000 Free Press activists who signed our petition last month.

This morning, Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) announced that he will call a Senate hearing next week on VNRs. Also, Sens. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) and John Kerry (D-Mass.) announced their intention to introduce legislation to stop the government from putting out VNRs without clearly displaying their source.

The actions of Free Press activists prove - once again - that we can stop the spread of government- and corporate-sponsored propaganda, investigate payola pundits, block media consolidation and create a more democratic media system for generations to come. None of this would have happened without your help.

If you have not added your name to the "stop news fraud" petition, please do so now and help keep this issue in the headlines: www.freepress.net/action/fakenews

Free Press and the Center for Media and Democracy are now working to identify local stations that use VNRs without full disclosure. We're collaborating with local groups to establish "citizen agreements" under which local broadcasters pledge not to use pre-packaged, government- or corporate-sponsored propaganda without prominently identifying the source.

To learn more about the FCC action, visit our "Stop News Fraud" pages at: www.freepress.net/propaganda.

We'll keep you posted on the next steps happening both on the national level and in your community. Thank you for your ongoing efforts to reclaim our media.

Onward,

Timothy Karr
Campaign Director
Free Press

--------
You (peace at lists.groogroo.com) are receiving this message as a subscriber of the Free Press E-Activist list. To discontinue receiving messages, please visit www.freepress.net/action/unsub.php ./*Your email ID. <diaEmailID='11565526'/>--*/