[Peace] Karen Aram's memorial gathering, noon-3pm, Saturday, Oct 21st

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 22:07:57 UTC 2023

Karen Aram (b May 4, 1943 d September 23, 2023)
* Around  2011 Karen Aram joined *AWARE* — the Anti-War, Anti-Racism Effort
of Champaign Urbana.
* In 2013, Karen became a regular panelist with "*AWARE on the Air*" a
local public television program where she actively discussed political news
events of the week, specifically that which isn't covered by the corporate
owned news media. She also was a panelist on “*News from Neptune*.”
* In September 2017 Karen organized a "Teach In" at the University of
Illinois against US wars of imperialism, with many expert panelists in
their field.

Karen often talked about her experiences with the *American Democrats
Abroad* (US), Thailand Chapter and her 30 years of working in Thailand and
throughout Asia in Executive Recruitment, Negotiations, and advising in
relation to culture and labor practices in Asia.

About Karen, *other local activists wrote the following comments*:
* David Green wrote, “I’m grateful and humbled to have been so densely
involved with a consummate fighter for peace with justice, not to mention
an incredibly decent human being. And of course her love for animals. I'm
grateful, if that is the right word, that Karen was able to die at home
with her children, and presumably her pet, by her side. A life well lived
merits both our sorrow, and our inspiration.”

* Mort Brussel wrote: “How much we’ve missed hearing her thoughts about
herself and our present (miserable) conditions domestically and afar. I
have had undiluted admiration for Karen Aram through the years, her quest
for a better, more rational, and more fair world. Especially her clarity of
vision for what should be done to avoid the tragedies and dangers  imposed
by current world leaders.  Her deep sympathy for the downtrodden. / I’m
grievously saddened by what seemed to me her recent health problems and her
consequent passing. This community, and beyond, has lost a wonderful,
persistent, critical voice.”

* Francis A. Boyle wrote: “A  great Soul has passed. May God hold Karen in
the Palm of His Hand. RIP.”

Karen was well-read. Karen Aram’s Reviews of books on Good Reads (58 books):
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/17339715-karen-aram?shelf=read
Around  2011 Karen joined AWARE — the Anti-War, Anti-Racism Effort of
Champaign Urbana. In 2013, Karen became a regular panelist with "AWARE on
the Air" a local public television program where she actively discussed
political news events of the week, specifically that which isn't covered by
the corporate owned news media. She also was a panelist on “News from
Neptune.”
In September 2017 Karen organized a "Teach In" at the University of
Illinois against US wars of imperialism, with many expert panelists in
their field.

Karen is survived by her two daughters Leisha (of California?), and Kristen
of Oregon.

[...]

Carl Estabrook <cgestabrook at gmail.com> sends his condolences. He is
housebound.

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 9:20 AM Stuart Levy via Peace <
peace at lists.chambana.net> wrote:

> Many of us knew Karen Aram, who passed away on September 23rd.
>
> This Saturday, her daughter Kristen is organizing a memorial service for
> her, at the Urbana house where she lived.
>
> noon to 3 PM, Saturday, October 21st
>

> Kristen writes:  Bring a memory or share a toast to Karen.
>
> If you need to know the location, please reply and let me know.
> (Kristen asked that we not publish the address, which is a few blocks east
> of downtown Urbana.)

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark
Twain