[rfu-automation] Anything goes on the automated musical playlist?

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 5 09:56:25 CDT 2006

All:

>From about 9:30 to 9:45 this morning WRFU broadcasted a solo clarinet piece
that, in my opinion, doesn't belong on the air, at least not in its current
form.

It is very long, amateurish and  repetitive. I can't  imagine anyone (other
than perhaps the "artist" or his or her parents) not being turned off after
a few minutes of this and turning off WRFU.

This raises an interesting question about what we want to keep on the
automation system. My musical taste and preferences certainly shouldn't be
the criterion. In fact, I'd like to have nothing to do with deciding what
merits a place in the automated music rotation and what doesn't. But I think
it is something we ought to discuss at our meeting next Tuesday at 7 pm.

--Gary

P.S. I apologize if my musical critique of the track in question has
offended anyone who might read this, as this was not my intent. Perhaps the
artist is even on this mailing list. If that is the case, keep practicing!