[rfu-automation] Automation Working Group Meeting Tuesday, 6/20 after General Meeting

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Sun Jun 18 18:07:22 CDT 2006

Dear Committed and Potential WRFU Automatons:

NOTE: This is the last message I will send to the general RFU list about
Automation Working Group matters. If you wish to become involved in the
Automation Working Group and beome an official WRFU Working Automaton,
please subscribe the the Automation list via
http://lists.chambana.net/cgi-bin/listinfo/rfu-automation

The Automation Working Group will have a meeting on Tuesday, June 20 at the
IMC after the the general WRFU meeting is over. We will initially meet in
the same place that the general meeting takes place, and then perhaps move
to another cozier local in the IMC if available. I think I remember Lynsee
saying something about her bringing the beer ; ) If the general meeting goes
long (say past 9:30 or so) we may have a very quick meeting and schedule
another convenient for a longer
meeting.<http://lists.chambana.net/cgi-bin/listinfo/rfu-automation>

I believe that although we should strive to increase the hours we broadcast
our local, live programs, there will probably always be a significant number
of automated hours each week that we broadcast. This means that getting
involved with the Automation Working Group is a way for you to have an
important impact on the operation of the station without casting yourself
into the high pressure limelight that having your own live show entails
(although we are pleased to welcome WRFU radio celebreties to our group,
too).

Currently, the automated hours are used for foreign-language and
international news (mostly early morning and Radio Bilingue weekday
afternoons) and local music (the rest of the time when there is no live
program). I am primarily interested in the former, and I believe that Lynsee
has done most of the work for the latter. Since Lynsee will soon be leaving
us for a while (why she has to go, I don't know, she didn't say), it's a
great time for others to become automatons, particularly if you are
interested in helping to get more local music on our local airwaves!

--Gary Cziko