[rfu-automation] Re: [rfu-tech] Re: Keeping the automation computer out of the studio

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 30 13:49:22 CDT 2006

John et al.:

On 6/30/06, John Anderson <phlegm at diymedia.net> wrote:

> No, Gary. As I had said earlier, we've been round on this multiple times,
> both via e-mail and in meetings. It's the day of the rebuild. We've had
> months to flesh this through. Setting up two machines with duplicate
> software simply serves to complicate things.

Perhaps a bit more complicated  to set things up this way, but a lot easier,
secure and reliable once it is set up.  Again, the automation system has
been working well from outside the studio. The console inside the studio has
had numerous problems from people not knowing what they were doing or
purposefully trying to screw things up. We will also be adding
safe-harbor-only material to the automation system which, if  played  during
the day could lead to a FCC violation and fine and a closing down of the
station. This is a new development which was not considered when the
automation computer placement was previously discussed.

Let us go with the plan we've come up with and previously agreed to and we
> can tweak it later.

We are presently unable to implement the plan that we discussed previously
because we have no way to provide access to an in-studio automation computer
from the production room. So I believe we should keep things as they are now
with the automation computer until such access can be provided or until
there is agreement that my previous suggestion is preferable.

If there will be some inconvenience to you while we set up the new system,
> you'll live through it. We all will.

Not just inconvenience to me, but comprising the functioning of the
automation system which has been working well and added risk of FCC
violations, plus no easy way to fix things while live shows are taking
place.

--Gary