[rfu-automation] Automation computer turned off; Away from May 8 - 16

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Sun May 6 10:26:15 CDT 2007

Dear WRFU Techies and Automatons:

When I checked the station this morning at about 7 am there was dead air. So
I went over to the IMC and found that the automation computer had been
turned off, so I turned it back on and started up ZaraRadio.

I also noticed that the blue network cable coming from SE corner of ceiling
was not connected to the switch box and that the automation computer had no
Internet connection. There were two ports free on the switch (1 and 8), so I
tried each until I got the automation computer connected again (I think it
was port 8). The switch box is located in a bad spot under the table on
which the automation computer sits and is too easy to step on while working
at the table.

I also noticed that the "On Air" sign was illuminated outside the studio. I
thought that was supposed to happen only when a mic live in the studio. I
checked the studio and it didn't look like any of the mics were on to me.

Finally, I will be leaving Tuesday, May 8 for Beijing and won't be back
until May 16. So I will not be able to pop over to the IMC to get automation
running during this time if it goes down. I hope that Dan and perhaps some
others can take care of this. Should I send the logon and password to this
group so that others can do this?

Three things should eventually happen, two of which have already been
discussed:

   1. Move automation computer to a secure corner of the studio.
   2. Dan and I should find time (after May 16) for him to show me how to
   connect to the automation computer remotely (although that wouldn't have
   helped this morning when it was turned off).
   3. The switch box in the production should be better located and
   protected.

--Gary