[rfu-automation] Re: [RFU] long sleeve shirt donations

Noel L. Vivar nlvivar at gmail.com
Wed May 30 00:48:06 CDT 2007

I can add this PSA to the website, if someone from tech could recreate
the pages for me again. I know that we lost all the old stuff that I
did, but I don't have permissions to add pages to the website, so I
can't recreate the work again.

I hope all is well in Urbana. I miss the station. -Noel

On 5/29/07, C Valencia <radiotripler at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hi WRFU,
>
> You have probably noticed a donation box in the lobby for long-sleeved
> cotton shirts.  This is part of my programming collective (Radio Triple R)
> initiative along with community members who work with seasonal laborers.
> Below I have pasted the PSA that will be in the box in the studio and
> hopefully on the automation once we have the production room operating
> again.  Thanks for your support in reading the PSA and for any donations.
> Interestingly, it might serve to provoke some great conversation around
> immigration issues.  Many of the workers who come to our area to work corn
> are not immigrants from other countries, rather migrants from other parts of
> the US.
>
> thanks,
> cristobal
>  Begin PSA:
> Each Summer the migrant farm workers from South Texas, Nebraska and
> Washington State come to
>  the area (Rantoul, Urbana and Champaign) to work
> detasseling corn. The corn leaves cut their arms when they are working
> in the fields. For this reason, I am asking the community to please
> donate uesd long sleeve shirts and blouses. The shirts and blouses need to
> be made of cotton. Please do not donate flannel or polyester shirts and
> blouses because such material  is very hot during the Summer.
>
> You can leave your donations in the following places: In this radio
> station, which is located next to the Urbana post office on Broaway and
> Elm, at La Casa Cutural Latina on 1203 W Nevada and at the Community
> United
>  Church of Christ,  located on 805 S. Sixth St. (between Green St.
> and Daniel St.) in Champaign.
>
> Thank You for your donations
> The Rantoul-Migrant Summer School

> cristobal valencia ramirez
> co-founder Radio Triple R: El Ritmo y Resistencia de la Raza
> Mondays 7-9pm 104.5FM WRFU Radio Free Urbana

Noel L. Vivar
505 E. Clark, Apt. 24
Champaign, IL 61820-4420
c.630.740.5775