[rfu-automation] PSAs, promos, and content opportunities

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Fri Apr 4 18:25:33 CDT 2008

I've picked up a CD of PSAs that's been sent to us - dealing with
mental health, from the Mennonites. I'm going to listen through, and
probably add it to automation over the weekend.

I've also recorded some show promos, and will add them soon: for Seed
of Faith, for Progressive Personal Finance. I'll probably also record
one for A Critical Ear. I'll have my recorder at our next station
meeting, too, and will record for anyone who wants to.

Onto the opportunity: at NFCB (community radio conference in Atlanta
last week) I came across a group called NAPS, who send out 2 CDs a
week to stations filled with PSAs. Now, we may not want to use all,
or most, of the PSAs they could provide, but it might be a useful way
to fill out our collection of PSAs. There's some processing needed:
- someone would need to listen to the CD and choose which to enter in
the system (and then enter them)
- to continue receiving the CDs we need to send back a response card
to NAPS for each CD, noting which ones we plan to play on air.

Questions:
- is this a desirable service to make use of?
- is anyone willing to take on the processing task? This is maybe an
hour of work twice a month (maybe less if you can figure out which
ones to use without listening through the hour of CD)
- Should we distinguish between local and national PSAs in our
system? I've already created a separate directory for the Community
Shares PSA, which runs just before the top of the hour. We could add
a new 'non-local PSAs' directory, which would ensure that local PSAs
get dedicated airtime, while non-local PSAs (of which there could be
far more) don't overwhelm the local ones.

Andrew

Andrew Ó Baoill
Station Manager
WRFU-LP, Urbana 104.5FM