[rfu-automation] Re: PSA length

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Thu Oct 23 13:26:14 CDT 2008

The problem with the cut off is that no dead air has been included at
the end of the audio file - the current setting for the automation is
to have some cross-fade, so that the music sounds better, but it means
that the last 0.5 seconds, or so, of PSAs and IDs gets lost - which is
fine if we end with music, or have dead air at the end, but not when
we have a tightly-edited file.

In terms of length, I'd suggest that we try to keep them under a
minute, and if possible around 30 seconds. The way Zara works, it will
run the PSA through to the end (except for the cross fade) and then go
to music - the only reason it should be interrupted is if we have a
high-priority 'immediate' event coming up. The only things in that
category are the Community Shares PSA and legal ID at the top of the
hour, and the podcasts between 4 and 6pm. I don't think we currently
have PSAs in the 4-6pm period, so length shouldn't matter - though as
I say, keeping them under a minute would be good. Indeed, my thought
is that a PSA shouldn't be longer than is needed to convey the
information, so we could usefully have 15 second PSAs.

A related point: I'm not sure how Zara operates when asked to play a
random track from a directory that contains sub-directories. I raise
the point because it might be useful to divide PSAs into directories
by length, allowing us at certain points to schedule *any* random PSA,
and at others to restrict the choice to shorter (or longer) PSAs.

Andrew