[rfu-automation] Re: RFU music library

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Fri Sep 12 19:21:32 CDT 2008

Alex,

Thanks for volunteering to work with this task. I'm not sure if you
were at our last meeting - we had some GSLIS students in attendance
who volunteered to work on the same tasks. If it was you, great. If
not, we should probably put you in touch with them.

This is definitely an area where we could use help. Have you talked
with other WRFU members about the project yet? I would advise that you
do this under the auspices of our automation group - you may want to
join the RFU-automation list at lists.chambana.net, if you have not
already - I'm copying the list on this mail.

I'm happy to talk with you about what the parameters of the project
might look like. At first glance, the following would seem to be among
the key issues for us:
* Cost - we're a very low-cost operation, so free is best.
* Ability to catalog/index and access non-music files, such as
interview archives, etc.

* Desirable: Integration of mp3 library. We have already ripped many
local albums, and placed them into our automation computer. Other
music has also been placed onto that computer, and is available
through iTunes and Zara Radio (our automation software).
* Desirable: It would be great if some web-interface (either within
the station, or available to the wider world) was involved, so
listeners might, for example, know what tracks we had that they could
request. I know there are a few software packages that make such
features available, but I'm not sure if that's only at the $$ end of
things.

One other question - is this a volunteer project, or will it link to
your research or course work? I'm not sure how well it would work at
the grad level, but I know at the undergrad level it's possible for us
to provide feedback that allows students to get credit for their work
at the station. If feedback or a report would be needed from us,
please let me know.

Andrew

On Sep 11, 2008, at 12:00 PM, rfu-request at lists.chambana.net wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:54:32 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Alex Svec <ajsvec at illinois.edu>
> Subject: [RFU] My name is Alex Svec and I will be helping with the
> 	Music Library
> To: rfu at lists.chambana.net
>
> My name is Alex Svec and I am a student from the Graduate School of
> Library Information Science at the University of Illinois in Urbana
> Champaign.  I will be helping out with organizing and cataloging the
> Music Library this fall, I will be submitting a more detailed
> proposal over the weekend after the September 20th meeting.

Andrew Ó Baoill
Station Manager
WRFU-LP, Urbana
104.5FM - http://radiofreeurbana.org