[rfu-automation] Re: Updated WRFU project proposal

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Thu Sep 18 12:50:20 CDT 2008

Thanks for this. Some questions and suggestions:
* I note this is in the form of a Community Engagement Contract. I'm
not familiar with the Community Engagement model within GSLIS, so
would appreciate some clarification and information on this, in order
that WRFU can make an informed decision on Saturday.
* I'm copying this mail to our automation group. As I mentioned
before, I recommend working on this project as part of this group -
they'll be meeting after the general meeting on Saturday, and it may
be a good opportunity to discuss the project in a smaller, more
focused setting.
* The issue of the time it could take to enter individual titles into
a system is an important one. Some have previously suggested using a
barcode scanner, though we don't have one available internally (and
I'm not sure how we would interface with internet-based catalogues of
music titles). Obviously, software like iTunes can interface with such
systems, but only after the CD is entered in a drive (though that
might work if cataloguing is linked with digitization).
* For your show do you plan to rely only on music from the library?
* Most of our physical library comes from WEFT, which has a label-
based genre system they use for categorizing titles. You may want to
talk with their music committee about how they do it. Of course, a tag-
based system may be preferable, given that the legacy system used at
WEFT allows only a single genre allocation for each CD.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

On Sep 17, 2008, at 12:55 PM, <mtaylo22 at illinois.edu> <mtaylo22 at illinois.edu