[rfu-automation] Re: [RFU] Donating CDs to Habitat for Humanity Homeworks?

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:16:43 CDT 2009

Natalie,

With regard to the CDs in-studio, there will be a group of university
student volunteers coming to help with various projects at the IMC on Wed.,
April 22nd, 7-9pm.  This will be their second visit, and one of the tasks
they will be helping with is the cataloging of the in-studio CDs, which they
began doing a few weeks ago.

The cataloging will probably help with genre labeling, and will also give an
accurate account of what we have - to be shared with the Librarians' group
catalog, once that is up and running.   I have coordinated the volunteers
using a software program called Tellico, which is a free, open-source
collection management application.  The CDs they have already catalogued are
in the Production Room in a box, to keep them separate from un-cataloged (or
out of place) items.  I know that some CDs on the shelves are not in the
proper category.

Right now the existing catalog is a Tellico file on the Production
workstation "Jamaile," but the XML file can be shared with other computers
and edited, as long as the other computers have Tellico installed.  One nice
feature is that you can record multiple genres for CDs - in fact, with a
valid bar code, you can download most or all of the CD information
immediately into the database.

I'm really busy lately with IMC/VISTA projects, hence my recent lack of
involvement over the RFU lists; but I can continue to help with this
particular effort.

It's great that Randall built an extra shelving area just for local artists
- which, for shelving purposes, is its own genre that we want to curate.

Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor
AmeriCorps CTC VISTA