[rfu-automation] Fwd: [RFU] Fwd: PRESS RELEASE - SPlog provides platform for readers to publish multimedia content

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Wed Apr 29 17:05:28 CDT 2009

I missed the 'but it's not a non-profit' element of your question in
my earlier response.

My feeling, as with most (all?) of the others who have responded so
far is that PSAs should generally be for non-profit purposes (rather
than to drive members of the public to for-profit entities) but that
we can examine requests on a case-by-case basis - as in this situation
where it's a freely-accessible (if profit-oriented) media resource.

It might be noted that this 'open publishing' website might
cannibalize the userbase of UCIMC.org, but I don't think that's a
concern as:
- UCIMC is particularly used for issues that are of political and
social justice concern, while SP has a more general (less radical)
mission
- Greater access to media is an IMC goal, so unless we get into a
rather detailed argument, it seems sufficient to assume that 'more is
more' and be supportive of this new space.

Andrew