[rfu-automation] profanity cases

Joe Futrelle futrelle at shout.net
Mon Jun 22 15:13:07 CDT 2009

I'll give my opinion point by point, but as you are probably aware there's
no way to know for sure how the FCC would rule on a complaint, which means
it's a good idea to be conservative and not rely solely on my, or anyone
else's, opinion.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Jacob Barton <udderbot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at a local album submitted to the station recently, & wonder if
> certain phrases constitute profanity in RFU's opinion...
>
> "the most badassin' coffee in the Northern Hemisphere"

Not "so grossly offensive ... as to amount to a nuisance"

"son-of-a-bitch"

Slightly more problematic, but I would consider it safe because it's neither
indecent nor could reasonably (IMO) be described as "grossly offensive" in
East Central Illinois.

"armed to the tits"

Significantly more problematic, I would bleep it because despite it being a
wonderfully apt metaphor, the word "tits" is generally associated with
indecent material and so could result in confused listeners complaining and
the FCC bringing the hammer down.

Your Mileage May Vary.

> The way I see it, these aren't on the same level as "shit" or "fuck" & thus
> could be aired anytime.  Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jacob
>
> who doesn't (yet) have radio show, but is summer-employed at the IMC to
> help with RFU & Production room stuff...

Joe Futrelle
Person