[rfu-automation] Fwd: [RFU] PSA for Champaign Odyssey Project- :10 and :20 Versions

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 23:54:05 CDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Castillo <kac at prairie.org>
Date: Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:34 PM
Subject: [RFU] PSA for Champaign Odyssey Project- :10 and :20 Versions
To: Kevin Castillo <kac at prairie.org>

 The Illinois Humanities Council is excited to announce that we are again
accepting applications for our next round of Odyssey Project classes, which
will begin in late August. The Odyssey Project provides a college-level
introduction to the humanities through text-based seminars led by professors
at top-tier colleges and universities to help adults with low incomes more
actively shape their own lives and the lives of their families and
communities.  Since the Odyssey classes will be held at the Douglass Branch
of the Champaign Public Library, we figured that your listeners would be
interested in information about the program.  The application deadline is
Monday, August 3rd, so we were hoping that you might run the included PSAs
on your show.  If you have any additional questions or would like more
information, please contact us.  I have included the full press release
about the program at the bottom of this email, under the signature. The
Odyssey Project website is located at
http://www.prairie.org/programs/odyssey-project . Let us know if there is
anything else we can provide. Thank you for your time.

*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*

* *

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

June 10, 2009
*June 10, 2009*

*Contact: Maggie Berndt, mkb at prairie.org*

*                312.422.5585 x239*

* *

*:10*

* *

*Apply by August 3 for The Odyssey Project, a free college course offered by
the Illinois Humanities Council. Classes begin in late August.  For more
information, call 217-244-3344.*

* *

* *

* *

* *

*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*

* *

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*June 10, 2009***

*Contact: Maggie Berndt, mkb at prairie.org*

*                312.422.5585 ext 239*

* *

*:20*

* *

*Get the education you want and deserve and receive college credit!  Apply
by August 3 for The Odyssey Project, a free college class in literature,
history, art history, and writing for adults living on low incomes, offered
by the Illinois Humanities Council.  It’s a whole new world!  Classes begin
in late August.  For more information or to request an application, call
(217) 244-3344.*

Sincerely,
Kevin Castillo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Public Information Assistant
Illinois Humanities Council
Suite 1400
17 North State St.
Chicago, IL 60602.3296
312.422.5585 ext. 233
312.422.5588 Fax
kac at prairie.org
http://www.prairie.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join us for the next event in our year-long, statewide series, *All-Consuming:
Conversations on Oil and Water* <http://www.prairie.org/OilandWater>.

Contact: Maggie Berndt, mkb at prairie.org                    FOR IMMEDIATE
RELEASE            Phone: 312.422.5585
x239

June 10, 2009

* *
*illinois** humanities council accepting applications for free college
course*** *Applications for The Odyssey Project, offering humanities courses
for adults living on low incomes in Champaign-Urbana, are due August 3.*

* *

CHICAGO - The* Illinois Humanities Council *(IHC) and *The Illinois
Program for Research in the Humanities* are now accepting applications for *The
Odyssey Project*, a free, eight-month college humanities course for adults
living on low incomes. Classes will begin in late August at the Douglass
Branch of the Champaign Public Library, 504 E. Grove St., in
Champaign-Urbana.

*Applications are due Monday, August 3, 2009. *For more information about *The
Odyssey Project* or to request an application, contact the Illinois Program
for Research in the Humanities at 217-244-3344. You can also download an
application online www.prairie.org/odysseyproject.

*The Odyssey Project* requires that applicants be at least 18 years old,
live in a household with income at or below 150 % of the federal poverty
level, and be able to read a newspaper in English. Tuition and books are
free, along with on-site babysitting and bus tokens. Bard College grants a
certificate of achievement to any student who completes the course and
awards six transferable college credit hours to those who complete it at a
high level of achievement.**

*ABOUT THE ODYSSEY PROJECT*

Founded in 2000 on the premise that engagement with the humanities can offer
a way out of poverty, *The Odyssey Project* offers instruction in humanistic
disciplines. Students explore great works in literature, art history, moral
philosophy, and United States history, and also develop skills in writing
and critical thinking. Syllabi and reading lists are roughly equivalent to
those a student might encounter in a first-year humanities survey course at
a first-rate university.*  *Teachers for *The Odyssey Project *are on the
faculty of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. **

“We are thrilled to begin our fourth year in Champaign-Urbana of offering
high-quality education to men and women who otherwise would not be able to
afford it,” says Kristina A. Valaitis, Executive Director of the Illinois
Humanities Council. “*Odyssey *inspires students to actively shape their own
lives and take a more active role in the lives of their families and
communities.”

*The Odyssey Project*, a program of the Illinois Humanities Council, is part
of the Bard College Clemente Course in the Humanities. It is offered in
Champaign-Urbana in partnership with the Illinois Program for Research in
the Humanities, the Chancellor’s Office of the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, the college of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and the Douglass
Branch Library. It is funded in part by The Field Foundation of Illinois,
the Seabury Foundation, the Polk Bros. Foundation, the Chicago Community
Trust, and an anonymous donor.

*The Illinois Humanities Council (IHC) is a nonprofit educational
organization **[501 (c) 3] dedicated to fostering a culture in which the
humanities are a vital part of the lives of individuals and communities.
 Organized in 1973 as the state affiliate of the National Endowment for the
Humanities, the IHC creates programs and funds organizations that promote
greater understanding of, appreciation for, and involvement in the
humanities by all Illinoisans, regardless of their economic resources,
cultural background, or geographic location. The IHC is supported by state,
federal, and private funds.*

* *

D A R E  T O  K N O W

*#  #  #*