[rfu-automation] Fwd: [grc] Sound Exchange webstreaming agreement

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Wed Mar 11 10:24:55 CDT 2009

FYI. We're not streaming at the moment, but this article (see bottom
of email) gives some useful updates to the rates and requirements laid
out in a new settlement between NAB and Sound Exchange. Sound Exchange
is a copyright licensing agency set up by RIAA, to administer the
performance copyright licenses required of online distributors.

In this mail I've also listed out the various copyright costs
associated with webcasting. Note that this does not cover podcasting -
additional fees would be needed for this, if it is actually possible
to license such use. [SESAC are the only group I've seen podcast rates
for so far.]

Under the NAB requirement, the minimum fee is $500 per year, and rates
are set on a 'per user, per song' basis. The $500 rate is equivalent
to about 3 users listening continuously.

Separately, the CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting) recently
reached an agreement with Sound Exchange, whereby CPB will pay the
license fees of public broadcasters, including members of NFCB
(National Federation of Community Broadcasters) through 2010.
http://www.nfcb.org/webcasting_royalty_rates.jsp

NFCB membership would cost us about $200 a year.

Note that in both the NAB and NFCB settlements, the quid pro quo (in
return for rates lower than those mandated by the copyright board) is
that stations must provide detailed information to Sound Exchange
about what tracks were distributed online, and how many listeners
there were to each track.

There are separate licenses required for the songwriting rights
element of copyright. These are available from BMI, ASCAP, etc. WRFU
has licenses with ASCAP, BMI and SESAC for its over-the-air signal,
but would need separate licenses with each, as well as with Sound
Exchange, to cover any online streaming. [In the US, radio stations
only need licenses for songwriting/composition copyright, for their
over-the-air broadcast, but need both songwriting and performance
licenses for internet distribution.]

For webcasting, ASCAP and BMI will cost a minimum of $300 a year each,
with SESAC a minimum of $116 in 2009. Thus, streaming in 2010 would
cost about an additional $950 (including NFCB membership), with
streaming in additional years probably costing at least $1250 (not
including NFCB membership), unless there's another CPB agreement with
Sound Exchange (which isn't provided for in the settlement between CPB
and Sound Exchange).

Perhaps more significantly, we would need to be able to provide
detailed information about all tracks played on air, as well as
linking that to listenership levels at each point in time, something
that would require both additional software and an ongoing time
commitment by WRFU volunteers/operators.

Andrew