[rfu-automation] Licensing of shows at the IMC for broadcast on WRFU

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Tue May 19 17:25:42 CDT 2009

I've talked with several of you previously about the importance of
getting permission from artists we plan to simulcast on WRFU - and
especially of the importance of having release forms when we record
performances for later on-air use.

[Incidentally, once we can get this process ironed out, it would be
great to add information to the Shows booking page about the
availability of live simulcast slots on Saturday evenings, as well as
the possibility of recording shows for later broadcast.]

I'm not sure what IMC-shows currently requires of artists and others
in this regard, but I'd like to have us integrate release forms into
the booking process for the performance space, allowing WRFU to
broadcast the material live and to record the material for future
broadcast. We should also seek to do the same with sessions arranged
by/within WRFU programming groups.

At WFMU in New Jersey, which has recently founded the Free Music
Archive (an online archive of content available royalty-free for non-
commercial use), they use Creative Commons as the basis for their
release forms. I attach a copy of those forms. One is for a 'share
alike' license, the other for a 'no derivatives' (ie remixes) license.

Could they provide a useful basis for a form at the IMC? [As written,
with minor modifications they would permit IMC/WRFU to make material
available from our websites, or in the future via webcast and podcast,
and permit the building of a comprehensive library of live
performances. This approach has the advantage of being, essentially,
platform-neutral.]