[rfu-membership] AON Qs, William Jones

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 23 09:22:12 CDT 2007

I finally had a chance to listen to AON's show for Friday, Apr. 27.
Things were better than before -- at least they were pulling things
_after_ they had obvious issues of content. But this is still missing
the point that this stuff needs to be previewed before broadcast -- and
technically they lost their show based on that alone.

It seems from the banter on the show that someone other than the DJs may
be cutting their CDs. The DJs seem to feel they can let things slip
through and then chastise whoever it is didn't follow the rules -- but
it is the DJs responsibility to do that and the DJs who will lose the
show for not previewing their stuff for any potential problems in advance.

It doesn't help that no one from AON responded to my email, came to the
meeting last week, or asked for clarification so that they could be sure
not to run into the same problem again.

So, based on the decision at the last RFU GMM, they should lose the
show. What does everyone think and what should be our next step?

Also, William Jones called me Sunday afternoon about the combination. A
long conversation ensued, where he thought we should be in contact with
him before cancelling the show. He claimed to have submitted the survey,
but I never saw a copy of it from him. I noted he never responded to our
various compiled lists asking for corrections in case an error was made.
Of course, if he'd bothered to ever attend a station meeting, this would
not be the problem it currently is for him.

I told him that he would need to send RFU-membership a message about
this, but I see nothing yet from him in the archive and told him that
only the RFU GMM can restore the show at this point.

The basic problem here is his attitude that once he got the show, he
need make no further effort to be involved with the station as he has a
mistaken sense of ownership of this slot once it was granted to him.
This is exactly the opposite of how the relationship should be between
programming groups and the station. People have to be proactive members
and can't simply ignore all other requirements for meeting attendance
and participation, including staying on the relevant email lists so that
they  know what's going on with the station.
Mike Lehman