[rfu-membership] Studio Computer Memoranda

Noel L. Vivar nlvivar at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 15:45:48 CST 2008

So many, if not all, of you have noticed that we have a shiny new studio
computer box thanks to the hard work Joe Futrelle and and Stephen Fonzo. The
transmitter check has been working properly, so please do that.

I have installed Mozilla Firefox, a virus scanner, VLC (a audio and video
media player), and Foxit (for reading PDFs), and various other utilities for
maintaining the computer.

The Tech Group would like to make the following memoranda and requests in
the hope of extending the longevity of the computer and making maintenance
easier:

   - *Firstly and most importantly, please shut down the computer if there
   is not a show after you. *If there is a show after you, you can leave it
   on.
   - If the computer ever locks up and you have to do a hard shut down,
   please make an equipment log entry at the bottom of the Show Log From.
   - The transmitter check software is the same as before. However, if you
   are unsure of how to do the transmitter check or how to use the software,
   please request training from Membership (
   rfu-membership at lists.chambana.net) immediately. You are in danger of
   taking us off the air if you do not use the transmitter check software
   correctly.
   - Please do not change system settings or install software on the
   computer. If you do need software, please make a request to Tech (
   rfu-tech at lists.chambana.net). If multiple airshifters need a piece of
   software and the computer is able to run it, we can put it on the computer.
   We would prefer to use open source software solutions over proprietary ones,
   and smaller programs over larger ones.
   - VLC and Mozilla Firefox should be able to take care of all your
   multimedia and websurfing needs. Again, if you need some other program,
   please do not install it yourself. Please make a request to the Tech group.
   - If you are bringing portable media like CR-ROMS, floppy disks (yes, the
   box has a floppy disk drive!), flash drives, *etc*. especially if you are
   planning on running programs from them, please take care not to put viruses
   on our computer.
   - If you put any media on the computer, please be aware that we will
   periodically delete extraneous files on the computer.

Thanks and please be sure to let us know if you have any problems with the
computer. It's running like a well-oiled hot rod compared to our old one
right now, and we'd like to keep it that way.

-Noel

--
Noel L. Vivar
505 E. Clark St., Apt. 24