[rfu-membership] Re: Speaker levels

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:53:49 CST 2008

In the short-term, I think we should wait to chide anyone until we receive
another complaint or negative response from visitors, the Post Office or
Larry Silkwood, or if we are experiencing something like clipped audio on
the transmitter or damaged equipment.  I acknowledge that I was the last to
complain about the volume (Tuesday at noon), and do think that this is
serious given the IMC's attempt to keep a key tenant, and the hours that the
volume must have been up for me to find it that way at noon.  I will be here
in town for most of the holiday break and will be able to monitor the studio
pretty well.

I cannot *completely* prove that Mike was responsible, though these and
other issues have consistently occurred sometime between 10pm Monday and 7am
Tuesday.  Additionally, Mike came to the IMC a week ago and asked for the
Production Room code because he likes to use it during his show.  Someone
using the room late on Monday nights (and only then) was stealing from the
room and leaving it open, with speakers on and garbage on the floor, at
least once a month since June.  This has stopped entirely since changing the
codes.  I don't know why Mike needed access to the room other than to take
things - there are better speakers, tape decks, and CD players in the RFU
studio, as well as a computer that was usually online and working until
sometime in the fall.  I would often see him at the IMC   I informed him
that another IMC group was managing the space and the only RFU members
active in a working group like Tech or Automation have access to the
Production room - and also that both RFU and Production codes were changed
around the same time to be fair to both groups.

The main reason I don't want to raise a major fuss about these things right
now is that, in every other way, the station has been making real progress
and there is a level of participation that I don't want to discourage by
getting punitive over an e-mail list that Mike doesn't receive, anyway.  The
best solution seems to be a private warning from the Membership group that
other tenants of the building must be respected, and that if there is
another complaint, the station may consider suspension.

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

-Stephen

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Andrew Ó Baoill <andrew at funferal.org>wrote:

> This is a concern. I had talked with Mike, who is, indeed, the last person
> listed in the schedule (and on the log).
> I'm leaving town very early tomorrow morning - and leaving for Ireland
> tomorrow afternoon.
>
> Is there someone who would be able to call on behalf of the membership
> group? We should first decide what the message should be. This is a
> recurring problem, and we need to make it stop. As was noted, we are not
> certain that someone isn't coming in regularly on Monday nights, after Mike
> finishes - but it seems unlikely (unless Mike has seen them follow him).
> Suggestions welcome - a suspension may be appropriate, though I'm unsure how
> to implement it in the short-term.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Dec 16, 2008, at 7:38 PM, rfu-membership-request at lists.chambana.netwrote:
>
> Subject: [rfu-membership] Re: [rfu-tech] Studio update
> To: mister garza <mistergarza at gmail.com>, Stephen Fonzo
> <fonzo.stephen at gmail.com>
> Cc: rfu-membership <rfu-membership at lists.chambana.net>, RFU Tech
> <rfu-tech at lists.chambana.net>
>

> Andrew had a conversation with Mike concerning this at the end of last
> September.  It was supposedly resolved.  And has now occured again. Mike was
> very cooperative, was Andrew's comment, and no suspension was mentioned.
> Andrew was the last person to discuss this with Mike though, and we should
> probably have input from him before any of us ventures to have a
> conversation with Mike.  Mike is best reached by phone and I do have his
> phone number.
> At this point we may be looking at some sort of consequences.
>
> Lavana

Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor
AmeriCorps CTC VISTA