[rfu-membership] Re: a few questions...

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Tue May 6 16:07:21 CDT 2008

Shakil,

Thanks for the note. I'm copying the membership group on my response,
so they have sight of the changes.

First, can I say how much I enjoy the show - I haven't been able to
listen consistently, but when I do I'm always impressed by the
quality of the show, in terms of topics, guests, and interviewing.
Definitely a highlight in our schedule.

I've answered each of your questions below.

Andrew

On 5 Beal 2008, at 23:34, Shakil Mustafa wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> There's a chance that I may be moving out of town very soon and
> therefore may not be involved w/ Muslim Mosaic much longer.  I was
> one of the original persons who started the show but since then
> we've had many contributors.  Most of our folks are trained
> airshifters w/ varying levels of experience and in the coming
> months we plan to bring aboard some new people who will contribute
> to the program.  I plan to meet w/ most of the group this Wed to
> discuss the future of the show.  There will be a few questions that
> will come up so I was wondering if you can clarify a few things for
> me so I can give the group accurate info:
>
> 1.)  What do you need to do to become "official" WRFU airshifters
> in terms of training, membership, etc?  Should we provide a list of
> names? Are their forms to fill out?  Currently we hold 2
> memberships to IMC I believe and 2 memberships to WRFU...do we need
> to have more?

At least two members of the programming group need to be IMC and WRFU
members. It's preferable if each person regularly involved is a
member - in part for the sake of our finances, in part so we have
accountability. The operator who signs the log (and is responsible
for the output) must be a trained WRFU member.

The membership group has 'training forms' which should be filled out
for each member, and the programming group form may need to be
amended to change the contact details.

> 2.)  Could let me know know what are some of the immediate and
> future tasks we can work on to help the station such as the
> farmer's market, fund raising, etc?  I apologize for not being as
> active in the day-to-day affairs of the station in spite good
> intentions.... Not that this makes up for it but hopefully I can
> get these guys to be active.

The Farmers' Market is our next ongoing project. We've a sheet in the
station where people can sign up for shifts - 8-10am or 10am-12pm -
for the weeks we've bought space.

We generally discuss possible tasks at meetings, so it's important
that someone from the group regularly attend. Tasks are as simple as
facilitating the next meeting. We are also looking for people to
coordinate a fundraising event, probably in late May: we have a
tentative agreement by some musicians to perform, and a presentation
on a community radio station in Honduras. We're looking to add extra
elements, and have someone pull it all together, finding a date that
suits and coordinate volunteers to do publicity etc.

> 3.)  Could you please provide me a list of meeting times for the
> various working groups and the general meeting (I know about 1st
> Tues but is there another one?)  ?

General: 1st Tues @ 8pm; 3rd Saturday @1pm
Membership: Sunday before the Tuesday meeting (I think @12, maybe
1pm); Saturday @ 12, before the Sat meeting. Generally announced on
the rfu-station list.

Other groups, not regularly meeting at present (volunteers welcome):
automation; technical; finance / outreach.

> 4.)  Could u provide me a list of all the email groups (technical;
> membership; general) and emails of key individuals in the
> organization in case there is a question?

Each group has a mailing list: lists.chambana.net  - all start with
rfu-.... That's the best bet for getting messages to those currently
active. I'll try to field messages that aren't caught by other
volunteers.

> 5.)  In noticed a few show have there own blog...how can we get one
> for our show?

Register an account on the website (top-right corner). Then mail rfu-
membership at chambana.net and tell them the show and website ID. Noel
(or someone else) will link the two, and when you log onto the site
your showname will link to your ID, from which the blog will be visible.

> I'm sorry for my ignorance on these matters.  I feel that I should
> be more aware of what's going on...unfortunately information comes
> in an as-needed basis and since we still seem to be evolving in as
> an organization policies from last year may be obsolete this year.
> I just want to make certain I pass along accurate info.  There used
> to be a wiki page at one time containing some valuable info but it
> appears that link no longer active.

Thanks for asking - hope it helps. Do contact me with other
questions, or put other members in touch with me.

--
Andrew Ó Baoill
- -
andrew at funferal.org / baoillo at uiuc.edu