[rfu-membership] Re: Schedule changes - correction

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sun Sep 21 14:58:15 CDT 2008

I managed to miss another currently open slot: 7-8pm on Thursday,
directly after A Critical Ear. We currently often extend into the
slot, but we're not scheduled for it, and having a regular show there
would both strengthen our Thursday evening schedule and perhaps force
us to be more consistent with our time-keeping on the show....

I really like how the schedule is shaping up:
* We have scheduled local programming for most times from 6pm to
midnight each day, and until 1pm or later 4 days. If programming
groups are consistent in broadcasting, that gives us a 7 hour block of
live, local programming. If we find another 7 hours of programming (on
top of currently in-hand proposals) this block will be full. We might
look to introduce policies about keeping live programming going
through this period (i.e. - if no one shows to follow you, stay going
until a replacement arrives), which is common practice at other
community radio stations.
* We have a good range of public affairs programming from 2-6pm, as
well as from 4-8am daily. The schedule is set such that we could
easily add local public affairs, live or recorded, into this block, in
lengths as short as a minute or two, or as long as an hour. [4-4:30
consists of 1 to 10 minute pieces, 4:30-5 is 30 minutes, and 5-6 is
mainly hour-long pieces.]
* Weekday mornings are either quite full (Monday, Friday) or a
wasteland (Tue-Thur). Weekends are more of a mixed bag. This is an
area we need to push.

We should develop ways to make more use of our Saturday evening
simulcast slot - perhaps recording gigs during the week for use on
that slot, as well as broadcasting radio-friendly live events on
Saturdays.

Once the current round of renewals and new shows is completed, I'd
love if we could move into planning and shaping the look of our
overall schedule. Some areas we could look at:
* Fostering news programming. This could involve working with IMC-
Production and IMC-Print, as well as building internal capacities.
* A process for pre-empting regular programming for local remote
broadcasts, for external special-event coverage, and for special local
coverage of significant events.
* Sourcing recordings of lectures, debates, and other local events,
for later broadcast on the station.
* Improving our processes for use of the Sat 8 to midnight slot,
designated for simulcasts from the IMC and other compatible content
(recordings of previous performances, performances in studio, etc.,
etc.) I wonder if anyone in the station would be interested in lining
up acoustic studio performances in studio for times when there are no
suitable events in the main performance space....

Andrew

On Sep 21, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Andrew Ó Baoill wrote:

> [...]
> 4-6pm daily - currently all syndicated, available only for new
> public affairs proposals
>
> Andrew
>
> On Sep 21, 2008, at 1:56 PM, Noel L. Vivar wrote:
>
>> Audio Conspiracy asked for Sun 7PM-9PM on their proposal. Did their
>> time change?
>>
>> I have replaced the Junction at their old time slot. Is this not what
>> I was supposed to do? Mykal/Delgado's programming group, "Utopist.
>> Not
>> Utopic." is not ready to start their show, as far as I can tell.
>>
>> As for "ALW to ZZ Top", the policy has always been first-come,
>> first-serve. The Hawkins' are already trained and all set to go. If
>> the other group is not trained yet, then according to our historical
>> policy, the Hawkins' should get the slot.
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Ó Baoill
>> <andrew at funferal.org> wrote:
>>> Noel - The ABC Sides is from 12-2am. We only schedule two-hour
>>> blocks, so
>>> approved the show SUN 12-2am at the meeting.
>>> The other approvals at the meeting were:
>>> 2 Name Changes (ALW to ZZTop -> More CFK; the Tue 9-11pm slots
>>> already
>>> reflected in the schedule)
>>> Audio Conspiracy Sun 8-10pm
>>> Amplified Librarians Mon 6-7pm
>>> ABC Siders Sun 12-2am
>>> As discussed on the list, the return of the Junction complicates
>>> matters
>>> with Mykal Lenard/Cesar Delgado's proposal. We had hoped to
>>> schedule them
>>> Thur 10pm-12, but since that's not available we may now put them
>>> Fri 12-2am,
>>> depending on their availability.
>>> Andrew Lloyd Weber to ZZ Top (a new show by the Hawkins) was going
>>> to be
>>> approved for Friday evening (7-8pm), but it clashed with another
>>> proposal
>>> brought to our attention during the meeting, so the two groups are
>>> discuss solutions - hopefully some compromise or other solution
>>> can be
>>> reached.
>>> I think that's everything from the meeting to do with scheduling.
>>> Andrew
>>> On Sep 21, 2008, at 1:21 PM, rfu-membership-request at lists.chambana.net
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> From: "Noel L. Vivar" <nlvivar at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: [rfu-membership] Re: [Rfu-schedule] <em>Propose a show!</
>>> em>
>>> submission
>>> To: abc.sides at hotmail.com, sarah.cushman1 at gmail.com
>>> Cc: rfu-membership at lists.chambana.net
>>>
>>> Sarah and Aaron,
>>>
>>> I have added you to the schedule using the information that you
>>> provided on the show proposal.
>>>
>>> Please take a look at the schedule at
>>> http://www.wrfu.net/station/schedule/week
>>> and let me know if I have to make any corrections.
>>>
>>> Please be sure that the contact information associated with the
>>> wrfu.net user names that you provided is always correct and
>>> up-to-date. The online user database is the easiest way for us to