[rfu-membership] Re: [RFU] Re: [Imc-bookkeeper] Phone usage at the IMC

Noel L. Vivar nlvivar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 12:15:51 CST 2009

[snip]
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Stephen Fonzo <stephen at ucimc.org> wrote:
> I wonder if anyone in RFU even knows about this.  This is now at least the
> third time since July that a different individual has come in and told us
> that they are an RFU airshifter, and it only turns out that they haven't
> been a member in good standing for years.  We seem to get significantly more
> visitors like this (who use their access to "hang out" and ask us for
> things) than those who actually want to volunteer at the IMC; in turn, those
> who are volunteering end up wasting some of their time dealing with these
> inconveniences rather than creating and promoting community media and art.
>
> Both the RFU studio and Production Room need to be private, with member-only
> access.  We have a major breach if one person is accessing both spaces
> without any good reason or permission.
>
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:41 AM, JOY <imcbooks at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Shortly after Don left this office, I found him in the RFU studio... on
>> the phone. I didn't realize he was an air shifter, having access to the
>> studio. According to our records, the last time he paid RFU dues was 5/6/06.

Well, RFU tries to change its lock codes every year, and tries to
distribute the new codes only to current members. There are ways
around this, e.g. word of mouth, but so far this policy is as far as
the station has gone.

Andrew, RFU-Tech, and RFU membership:
Should we remove the old code from the door? Also, we should post a
list of people that are active members so that when someone does
knock, we can verify if they should be let in.

>> Stephen, Nicole, and now Jason all share the production room as office
>> space to conduct their work. I believe our VISTA contract even states that
>> they must be provided with an office. I believe there is also confidential
>> information kept in the production room, at their individual work stations.
>> Realizing that we have a transparent organization as one can imagine, there
>> is still a necessity to keep some info private.

One option is to have password protected, possibly encrypted, logins
for those members who deal with confidential information. If we don't
do this already, this is fairly easily set up.

--
Noel L. Vivar
505 E. Clark St., Apt. 24