[rfu-membership] Re: WBML proposal

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Fri Jan 16 12:40:23 CST 2009

I met with representatives from WBML and the African-American Cultural
House (on the U of I campus) yesterday, together with some other IMC
staff and activists, to talk about ways that we could collaborate.

One aspect was the interest of WBML volunteers, who host an online
radio station, in hosting shows in WRFU. In particular, they were
interested in building a regular block of programming, such as 12-2pm
Mon-Thursday.

Our policies don't allow more than two consecutive hours for any
group, or for any group to hold more than 2 slots per week. It would
be possible - as I explained - to create several programming groups,
each with at least two members, and for those shows then to be
publicized under a common title.

I asked Stephen, the WBML station manager, to make an initial
programming proposal, as he has now done, to get the process running
at our end. We can discuss the matter at our next Membership and
general meetings. As you can see, the proposed 'block' could be filled
by 2-4 programming groups. They have committed to having at least 8
paid members - 5-6 WBML staff have already undergone WRFU training
last Fall.

I'm interested in having us discuss if, and how, our policies could/
should be amended to better accommodate proposals such as this. The
notion of a large, strong, collective, which undertakes responsibility
for a regular strip is in line with how we envisaged collectives in
the very early days of the station, but as we lowered the requirements
of collectives (to two members) we moved to a model of lots of small
collectives, which required stronger controls on how much time any
collective could hold. I'd be interested in thinking about how we
might define and structure large collectives that would take
responsibility for larger strips - this might also prove a useful
model for future news collectives or other collaborations with
existing community groups.

Andrew