[Rfu-station] Re: [RFU] Studio

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 12 14:41:17 CDT 2007

Hi Everyone,
I wanted everyone to see what some of the problems we've been going
through, mainly because people attempt to solve problems in the studio
without getting the tech group involved. I am sure you can read Dan's
frustration in it, which I fully agree with. The difference is that Dan
has been going crazy with trying to fix things that people break or just
simply mess up because they don't know what they're doing. I myself have
little time, but have dealt with some of the emergencies.

Everyone should have this email address memorized:
rfu-tech at ucimc.org

You should use it to report problems, so they can be fixed.

You should NOT do ANYTHING to the wiring or cables between equipment,
unless you're a qualified member of the tech group.

I invite everyone to report problems to tech via email and _require_
that you quit messing with things, unless you're qualified to fix them
properly. If nothing else, this will help us track down whoever it is
that is constantly disrespecting the rest of us by messing with the
studio gear -- and then we'll decide if we want to keep you around or not.

What we also need is more people to get involved with Tech, as it right
now depends on a few of us who already have many other responsibilities.
That is the other reason why tech has been barely hanging in there,
because there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything we
need to do.

So it's time for some new blood. You don't have to be an ezpert about
any of this. Part of community radio is it is a way to develop new
skills. Those of us who do know what we're doing are glad to tech. And
I'm certain we have others out there who have skills that are already
useful. This isn't rocket science, just basic electricity and wiring,
mixed with the ability to analyze a problem step by step. If you've ever
learned to use a new piece of software, then you can handle most of this.

But you should be messing with cables and stuff ONLY if you join the
tech list and communicate with th rest of us on what needs fixing and
how we're going to fix it.

Otherwise, HANDS OFF those cables! Leave 'em be!

Thanks very much to Ed and his daughter for taking the brief moment it
does to report a problem. Come on folks, there's a computer right in
front of you in the studio you can use to report a problem, so there's
really no excuse...unless someone's unplugged the monitor, like happened
today. Yet Ed still managed to get the message through to us to fix things.

Also, if you read Dan's message closely, you'll see that some of the
problems anonymous cable yankers seem to be attempting to fix are really
not a problem with your signal going out, but with a cable we need to
fix that you can't get to. This is one example of how, if we'd had good
reporting of problems and people didn't start yanking on cables all the
time without telling us, we probably could have figured this out MUCH
sooner. Trust us. We know what we're doing when we ask that you only
report things and NOT try to fix them  yourself.

Further discussion and involvement on this topic is _encouraged_, on
either the main RFU list that some of you are on or at the RFU-tech list.

Now Dan's letter of frustration.
Mike Lehman

 From Dan:
issues today:
monitor unplugged - i plugged it back in
automation computer not working - drive G (the one will our content)
was borked and will likely break again... its working for now.
cd1/2 not working - both work now with the original cable (i even
wiggled them to confirm)
speakers not working - someone had set the input to AM (we are an FM
station all)
headphones are now all rolled up on top of the cassette player

other notes:
the cable from the mixer to the transmitter is fubar'ed meaning your
channels will often go out.  this is not your input, your mixer,
laptop or anything else so dont play with cables behind the mixer and
components.  if you want to know more subscribe to the tech list.

the wireless access point and computer showed signs of meddling again.
please dont play with these.  if you want to know more get involved
in the rfu-tech group.

so heres the deal... i am getting tired of daily having to fix stuff
as it takes out of my day job.  i am also getting even more tired of
people with good intentions trying to fix things and making them
worse.  guaranteed the reason the cable from the mixer to the
transmitter is bad is because so many unneeded hands play behind the
mixer.

this is a two part problem:  1) the tech group sucks and has not
addressed the general memberships needs properly and 2) the general
membership sucks at letting the tech group know when there are
problems.

i really (really) hate to say this as its against how i learned how
everything worked, but i really feel we need to now spend money that
could best be served else where to not allow hands to play with stuff.
if something is broke tech group approved only members should be
allowed to fix things.  time and time again i come into the studio and
look at what i am calling the 'wrfu domino effect' where well
intentioned members try to troubleshoot an issue rather than informing
the tech group right away making the original issue worse rather than
better along with breaking other items when initial notice to the tech
group would have fixed it asap.  email works when you have an active
tech member upstairs reading email several times an hour.

i apologize if this email is taken negatively but you must understand
that the hour+ i spend during the day fixing the studio is time taken
away from what pays my bills.  if this current trend continues to
happen my charity will have to end.

other suggestions, comments, questions, rants?