[Rfu-station] WRFU NOTES AUGUST 7, 2007

Ghost Dance ghostdance49 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 11:06:27 CDT 2007

Notes August 7, 2007 – WRFU MEETING

ADGENDA
Automation
Computer business
Fliers for shows
Sabaa
UofI extension

Vince Parker – Show proposal

Mike's News on finances: [PLEASE SEE MIKE'S UPDATE EMAIL AT END OF NOTES FOR
FINANCIAL UPDATE. . .AND FUNDRAISING INSPIRATION!]
Rough idea of what in our accounts:
    (after BIG audit) – b/c of capital account inconsistencies not as much
money as we hoped
-    approx. $6000 in our account!
Need to keep in mind we have expenses coming up: 5 mo. Of studio overhead
($100/mo)
Phone: $ 105 (35/mo)
$600 in copyright fees to ASCAP/BMI/ETC

-    we inherited $1600 in another account only for portable recording
gear/prod. equipt
-    audio production equiptment (audio workstation)
-    proposal for use of that money

set aside $2500 emergency fund. (for trans prob/lightening/the board goes
out.

w/all expenses subtracted we got:
~5000: in capital expenses (equipt. Mike bought)

in ALL we got ~3789 (PAID: all expenses through to $2008)

$150: set aside for streaming
cost of streaming lisense $864
- industry up in the air on rules

by middle of November we need to replace our tower . . . .
(new board/cds/streaming)

need to do fundraising
letters brought in $2000
$1000 pledge with some lady

Community foundation of E. C. Illinois
Dan is going to work on this proposal

Mike transitioning out of being station mgr.
Ray proposes we purchase a new board . . . .
Mike proposes we attempt to repair the old board to save money

Quality board $2500

Didn't want to FUNDraise, unless we needed equiptment
SOLID proposals for fundraising WE REALLY NEED

Mike proposes a group interested in helping to fundraise

Fundraising campaign:
6 people gave substantial amount with letter campaign

Eloris: We need a fundraising group

Fundraising committee:
Nick/Eloris

Outreach – mtg. w/ children

We have around 80 members

QUAD DAY 8/16
9am-2pm
Sign-up list for volunteers by RAY [SEE RAYS EMAIL @ END OF NOTES]
Make fliers for your show

TASTE OF NEVADA
2pm-5pm
WRFU Remote broadcast

Promote radio station etc.

Ray will send email w/volunteers, and rules of quad day

New people: Vince Parker

Hip hop: Thursday – Friday

4-H Youth development educator: U of I extension: KAREN

New creative ways of how to engage kids –

rfu at ucimc.org

should have had streaming a year ago b/c bigger audience gives us a greater
pool of people to try and fundraise from

under writing opportunities

tower vs.board

WE NEED TO WORK FOR BOTH REGARDLESS

MIKES EMAIL

On 8/9/07, Mike Lehman < rebelmike at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don't believe that I've seen a post with the minutes from last
> Tuesday's meeting yet. That is probably a good thing, as I thought I'd
> been pessimistic enough about the adjustments that would be made to the
> RFU account to reflect the capitalized cost of the equipment adjustment
> made by the auditor. So everyone who was at the meeting, please consider
> what I have to say is not going to be particularly good news. Those who
> weren't there will not have to deal with the small bit of optimism, but
> can like we all should, start thinking about what we need to do to start
> doing some very much needed fundraising.
>
> That said, before I go into details, let me give some background. When
> we set up RFU,. we decided that the RFU membership fees should cover the
> basic station expenses. We would only do fundraising for specific
> equipment needs in order to avoid the need to do regular fund drives on
> the air. We did raise the RFU membership from $10/year to $20/year at
> the beginning of 2007, in hopes that this would relieve some of the
> financial pressures we knew were coming and maybe have some left over to
> finance the streaming expenses.
>
> Your RFU membership expires at the end of one year since you last paid
> it. If anyone needs to know when that is individually, please let me
> know. I will be able to tell you the last time you paid. That way you
> will know that it's time to give us your $20 for the next year's
> membership. We have not actually requested formally that people renew,
> because we haven't been organized enough to do so. However, what I will
> tell you below will show you just how vital it is that we get everyone
> to renew ASAP -- and maybe give a little extra if you are able.
>
> Our main issue at this point is that our auditor made a decision that
> equipment purchased to start the station should be capitalized. I won't
> even try here to explain what that means, other than that it reflects a
> legitimate need to show those items as an asset on the books and to
> write off a small part of that asset every year as it got older. The
> problem came in how this adjustment was made. Instead of deducting the
> funds to cover this cost from the RFU account, it was deducted from the
> IMC general fund. This made it seem like those funds were still in the
> RFU account, when in fact they should've been transferred to cover those
> costs instead of having the IMC as a whole pay for them.
>
> The items involved include our transmitter, antenna, audio processor,
> cavity filter, and EAS box. The other night I estimated that to be
> around $5000 when I spoke at the meeting. However, I underestimated what
> these had cost. In fact, this charge comes to $10,202. Ouch!
>
> So here's the rundown on approximately what is in our account. After
> subtracting this charge, we have only $4074.60 in the RFU account. That
> total includes $1633.33 that is dedicated to buying audio production
> [...]

QUAD DAY - RAY's EMAIL

Raymond Morales to WRFU
show details

Please plan on arriving 5-10 min before your shift to allow for a smoother
transition between groups. There will be folks from other working groups of
the IMC present. If you have a lawn chair, bring it. Can we get some more
volunteers to fill the afternoon slots?

Can someone volunteer to make an RFU flyer advertising the meeting that
evening with a small map where we are located on it? I will be there for a
good portion of the afternoon slot so do not worry about not feeling
competent to help. Extra hands are ALWAYS welcome.

-Ray

 NAME  9:00 AM 1 Janice Lilly
 2

  10:00 AM 1 Brianne Boln