[Rfu-station] Re: [RFU] RFU General Meeting

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 20 14:47:11 CDT 2007

I will be at another meeting before the RFU meeting and may be late in
arriving. However, I do have these agenda items.

Brianne, a new member, sewed curtains so that we can finish the
silkscreen studio darkroom. These will be installed soon, then we will
announce a training session for silkscreening. If someone wants to
propose a new design for the RFU t-shirts and anything else we can print
on, start working on the art work. I think we have the old design still
on a silkscreen, so it will be easy to do more of the "classic" ones.

As I mentioned in a recent email, here is our difficult financial
situation. We have about $2441.27 in our account. Here's what the budget
looks like for the rest of the year:
 $2441.27 in account
-1205.00   planned expenses we need to cover until Jan. 1, 2008
 -$150.00  dedicated to future streaming expenses
$1086.27 what's left to buy a new tower

We also have $1633.33 that is in a fund dedicated to audio production
gear, i.e. portable recorders, an audio workstation for the production
room, or similar expenses. This equipment will be purcahsed and
maintained by RFU, but must also be available for audio production use
by any IMC member. These funds came from the old IMC Radio group, which
earned them through their work in years past. If someone want to propose
a budget to get this stuff, please do. I can be consulted if there are
any questions.

A few people have signed up for the RFU-Finance list. We needs lots of
help from everyone on this -- or else! To sign up for the RFU-Finance
list, go to:
If we're going to get a fundraising drive going, then it is necessary
for the RFU Finance group to meet, set up a plan, and then put it into
action. Dan has started planning IMCfest in support of our needs, but we
need much more than that to raise the funds we need for the tower,
studio equipment we need, and to pay for streaming.

I am working with the help of Dan and others on a grant proposal for
funding the permanent tower to the Community Foundation of East Central
Illinois. It is due at noon on Friday, August 31, next week. Dan is
getting me some contacts for pricing. We will be applying for $4500 in
funds. We have about $1000 on hand, another $1000 pledge, and will need
to need to raise a total of at least $4500 as matching funds for this
project ASAP.

Please be aware that we will NOT know whether we will be awarded these
funds until the end of November, that there is no guarantee that we will
get any of these funds and that, even if we are awarded funding from the
CFECI, we may not be given the full amount. So don't count these fish
before they are caught. The best plan is to get cracking on some serious
fundraising.

Heck, every show should make at least one pitch for funds, so that is
the first thing that the RFU Finance group needs to write. We also need
a similar announcement recorded and placed into the Automation machine.
Plus we need lots of ideas and work to make fundraising happen. Heck, I
HATE fundraising, but I managed to raise the $15000 or so that it took
to get the station started, with just a little helpm from others. What
have you done lately to keep us on the air or even improve the station?
Heck, heck, heck, we gotta do this or we run out of money halfway
through next year, even if we don't buy anything!

Dan is working on the IMCfest, scheduled for Nov. 9-11, just before our
second birthday. This will raise _some_ of the funds, but we need to
think of it as a _conclusion_ of a hardworking fundraising campaign for
the tower.

For those of you who haven't been to a meeting recently, remember that
somewhat regular attendance at station meetings of various kinds is an
obligation of membership. BTW, I want to ask Membership to consider
going through the meeting attendance sheets to identify those who
haven't been fulfilling this obligation. The station is already in a bit
of jeopardy, because we've done almost no fundraising since the station
started. Don't put your show's slot in jeopardy by failed to attend
meetings. The basic requirement is to have at least one member of your
programming group attend at least 50% of station meetings. The stations
only functions when people show up to help do the work, including
attending meetings. If you've been frustrated by some aspects of the
station, like old equipment, crappy reception in west Champaign, or lack
of a comfortable chairs in the studio, well, guess what? Start actively
participating in meetings and these problems will go away.

Finally, there will be a meeting soon of the Membership group to get
things in general at the station working better. One crucial task is
coming up with a replacement for me as station manager. I gotta be
moving on, but I will be able to help you, along with many others. So
consider volunteering for station manager.

Thanks for reading this closely, discussing it at Tuesday's meeting, and
doing soemthing about it, which is the most important point I'm trying
to make.
Mike Lehman