[Rfu-station] Re: follow up questions about tonight

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 30 19:46:06 CDT 2007

Replies interspersed below.

RANDALL R HAWKINS wrote:
> The number that I finally heard that is needed was $24,000. Can we set
> a goal date to have that raised by? The IMC fest is Nov 9-11. The
> grant notification is the end of November, but we cannot count on that
> money. Having an ending date can be very motivating.
Dec. 1 as an end will let us know if we have the grant (they're
announced on Nov. 30), as well as whether we've raised enough money. We
should set the goal as if we're not getting the grant. So let's make it
$15,000, since we found a cheaper tower. This will cover the cost of the
tower. If we get the grant, then we'll take that $4,500 out of the tower
fund and put it toward studio equipment and streaming.

Or should set a goal of $20,000, so we have bucks for a big
studio.streaming upgrade no matter what? This depends on everyone at the
station helping with fundraising, but we can do it if everyone pulls
together.

In any case, I will adjust the grant budget to reflect the cheaper tower
that the Hawkins' helped find.
> We briefly talked about selling t-shirts. Do we have an idea when
> t-shirts will be available? Who could we ask to post a message
> mentioning what else people could volunteer to do to help with this?
We should be able to print t-shirts in about two weeks. Maiko, whose
studio it is, will be glad to make the silkscreen and we can schedule a
date to make a bunch. It takes 3 to 4 people to run a bunch. You can do
4 or 5 dozen in a couple of hours.
> Do we actually have space reserved at the Market -- or do we need to
> look into doing that? If we need to try and get a space, I can do
> that, but I don' t know if it can be gotten this late in the season.
> Also, I can organize a list of people to sign up to do it. I would
> want them to phone me or e-mail me with a date that they can volunteer
> and perhaps an alternate. I can periodically post a list on the email
> list of who has signed up, and make follow up phone calls. But I will
> not be able to be at the General Meeting. So I can send some cards
> with one of you who is going with my name, phone number and e-mail
> address that you can give to those interested. It would be nice if
> someone experienced in doing an on site broadcast could help those who
> have not done it before. Perhaps, people could let me know when they
> volunteer if they have done this type of broadcast before.
We don't have a space. Someone should check with the city of Urbana,
either at the market on Saturday or next week. The used to have a rate
where you could get a 10-Saturday package, which should last us through
the end of this season. I'll be glad to circulate the signup sheet, but
we really need to find someone to take charge of the Market booth who'll
do it.
> If we already have the farmer market space, could this begin as early
> as this Saturday? Could we get the stuff together? Are any of us
> available on Saturday to get this rolling? With or without the live
> broadcast? My family could be there.
Dan will need to get things working, if we want to do the live
broadcast. We also need to coordinate with the Sat. morning shows. I
think they would be willing to have us check in from the Market and this
could be a little promo for the campaign. My guess is this weekend is
too soon, too many loose ends yet, but in a week or two, yes.
> How will a date actually be set for the garage sale? What will that
> process be?
We'll bring this proposal to Steering next Thursday. Can someone look at
the calendar and check which dates are away football dates, if we plan
to do it on a Saturday. I'd suggest that we go ahead and pick a date or
two to propose, so that it's a simple discussion, instead of wide open.

> Is the attendance customarily included in the notes when you post them
> to the list?
Yes, we should put down first names, at least. The attendance sheet
should be noted as to the time and meeting (RFU-finance) then filed in
the file cabinet in the vault.
> Here are notes for a quick perusal by you all, before I post them to
> the list. Anything I missed, wrote unclear, or misstated?
Notes look great, after I corrected that I'm writing the grant with
Leslie, so I'll forward them to the list and to RFU-station.