[Rfu-station] Meeting next Saturday at 1pm

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sat Nov 8 20:24:49 CST 2008

Our next general meeting will be next Saturday, 15th, at 1pm.

I'm actually going to be out of town - I've a conference in Austin -
so will be unable to attend. However, I wanted to suggest some items
for the meeting agenda, which I hope can be dealt with in my absence.

The first is that I don't believe we chose a facilitator for this
meeting. This can be dealt with at the start of the meeting. I would
suggest that the meeting also choose a facilitator for our next
meeting (Tuesday, 2 December), who will be responsible for sending out
a meeting notice in advance of the meeting.

Second, there are a number of roles/positions that I would like to
have filled. I would suggest that for each task, either a working
group take responsibility for it or that an individual volunteer take
on the position for a fixed period of time - I would suggest either 6
months (to April) or 12 months (until next Fall). The tasks/positions
are:
- Steering spoke. We need two. Tom Garza already holds one of the
positions. We need a second person. Responsibilities: attend IMC
steering meetings - possibly alternating with Tom; report back to WRFU
(on list and in general meeting)
- Mailing list moderators. We have 5-6 email lists. The lists are
moderated (to prevent spam coming through, but to make sure member
mails, or relevant mails from others, are let through). I do much of
the moderation at present (some other WRFU members are also moderators
of individual lists). It would be great if someone could take
responsibility for overseeing moderation of all the lists - it would
be 10 minutes work once a day or so - freeing me up from this task.
- Should we have regular meeting facilitators, who will oversee
meetings on an ongoing basis, and be responsible for sending out
meeting notices/minutes? At present we often don't have a facilitator
chosen in advance, which means notices don't go out in a timely
fashion, and we spend time at the start of the meeting choosing the
facilitator/note-taker. If 2-4 people were to take responsibility for
this, it would be great. Workload is fairly obvious.
- The Production group is suggesting that each IMC working group
appoint 2 individuals to liaise with Production. This can probably be
arranged through tech?
- We could do with some more 'emergency contacts' to list in studio.
Let me know if you're available for this (or volunteer at the
meeting). I'll get a new notice up in studio soon.

I strongly suggest that these positions be filled, in part because my
term as station manager ends in February, and I expect to be leaving
town next summer. The station manager position is formally rather
limited in responsibility, but some of the above tasks tend to fall in
my direction when we don't have someone else responsible for them. If
we can get these small tasks taken up by other individuals, it will
make it easier on whoever follows me as station manager next year.

Having said that, a draft agenda for Saturday should look like this:

Choose facilitator, note-taker
Introductions
Reports from working groups: Membership; Tech; Finance/outreach;
Automation
Report from Steering
Appoint, by consensus, individuals to positions (Steering; list
moderators; meeting facilitators; Production liaison, emergency contact)
Any other items
Choose facilitator for next meeting (if the appointment section hasn't
clarified this)

As this is a Saturday meeting, it's likely there will be a membership
meeting before, and finance and tech meetings after, the general
meetings. Watch out on individual working group lists for details.

Andrew