[Rfu-station] (Re)Training; volunteers needed; other news

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Tue Sep 9 13:49:26 CDT 2008

Lots in this update. First, as most of you should know, we decided
earlier this summer that all volunteers will need to undergo re-
training this year. We haven't yet set a final deadline, but the plan
is for re-training to be completed within the coming weeks. So, if you
haven't already signed up for a training slot, please do so soon.

Here's the training sessions already lined up, and number of slots
remaining:
Tuesday 9th (tonight). 6pm. 1 slot remaining
Saturday 13th. 12 midday. 7 slots remaining
Saturday 13th. 1:30pm. FULL
Saturday 13th. 3pm. 10 slots remaining
Saturday 13th. 4:30pm. 10 slots remaining

Each session should last 90 minutes. If you want to sign up for a
session contact me.

Remember - if you have already undergone training in the past, you
still need to attend a session. This is a mandatory refresher, and
those who do not get retrained will not be permitted to remain on air.

Some more sessions will be announced soon, but the sooner you get
trained the better for all of us.

********
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

We are scheduled to have a farmers' market booth this Saturday (13th)
and next Saturday (20th). We need volunteers. Shifts are 8-10 and
10-12. Contact me to sign up.

If we don't have volunteers we can't do the booth. This is a great
outreach opportunity, and a low-effort volunteering opportunity, so
please do help if you can.

We also need volunteers to organize and help with t-shirt printing at
the IMC. Please let me know if you can help with this.

***********
Remember: our next meeting is 20th September at 1pm at the IMC.
Several working groups will be meeting before or after the meeting, so
watch out for their announcements on the lists.

In particular, Finance will be meeting at 12, Automation and Outreach
will both be meeting immediately after the general meeting at 2pm.
***********
I've just received a formal quote for a tower, which comes in at
$13,500, excluding the concrete base. We have around $7,000 in tower
funds so far, so we're well on our way, but there's obviously still
some distance to go. If you can spare a donation to the tower fund,
you can leave a check - made out to UC-IMC and with 'WRFU tower' in
the memo - in the drop box at the IMC, or make a paypal payment
through our site.

We're going to be ramping up our fundraising through our finance
group. We need more volunteers to work on this - please consider
making the Finance Group the place where you do your WRFU volunteering
in the coming months.

WRFU and the IMC have already been working on some substantial grant
applications in recent weeks, which could provide us with new studio
equipment, as well as assisting our tower purchase and our ability to
engage in news production across our communities.