[Rfu-station] IMPORTANT note about setting up automation

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sun Sep 28 16:48:44 CDT 2008

I'm listening to the station, which is currently on automation. Most
of the speech elements (in PSAs, speech programming etc) are
distorted. I suspect this is because the automation fader has been
left up too high. I stopped by the station yesterday to fix exactly
the same problem, but it strikes me as most useful to remind all
programmers of the issue:

Automation is often rather 'hot' or 'loud' - and at present we have no
processing of the signal sent from automation to the mixer - so please
take care not to put the automation fader up too high. Putting it a
little below '0' is usually most useful. Hopefully at some stage we
can introduce processing on the automation, allowing a standard volume
from that input. In the meantime, it's better that the signal be a
little low, and listeners have to tune receivers higher, than that it
be too loud and the signal be distorted by out transmitter.

Andrew