[Rfu-station] General meeting 8/4/9 notes

Jacob Barton udderbot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:53:22 CDT 2009

A sprawling but tidy one-hour meeting.

Attended by Ray from "The Show", Jacob from (I still don't have a show!),
Tom from "11th Indian", Ricardo from new show proposal "Pory Para", &
Cristobal from "RRR".

Jacob & Carly (from Production group) are thinking of instigating an Urbana
High School Radio Club;  Jacob wondered aloud about past high-schooler RFU
involvement.  Mentions of RRR and Habari Connection youth involvement in the
past;  some worry about equipment getting trashed, supervision would be
necessary.  There's always room for more high school radio!

Jacob wondered aloud about the three Zoom H2 recorders we were going to buy
with IMC Fest money; confusion was recalled about someone buying things with
station money without station approval which was later refunded.  IndyMedia
Arts Lab has come and gone; with no such pressing need, the money may be
better put into the Tower Fund ("what good is a field recorder if nobody can
hear us?").  Also, SORF funding through the U of I has been used to purchase
Zooms in the past...

Build the tower now: why not?  Ricardo articulated the need for a tower-fund
spearhead person & volunteered himself; to find out what needs to get done &
get it done.

Ray knows what needs to get done for Quad Day (Aug. 23) including flyers,
brochures, people signing up for shifts, a big enough tent, maybe even new
T-shirts screen printed with the help of Maiko Lehman?

Another thing to get ready is the well-attended meeting inevitably following
Quad Day; have tasks well-defined & lined up & ready for fresh energy.  Have
a workday on Sept. 19th?  Make a Tower Fund working group?  Trivia night
fundraisers were successful in the past...

Farmer's market booth is a good idea, for the exposure.  We don't seem to
have a budget for it, but donations collected easily cover the costs.  Jacob
will continue pursuing.
*
We do need,* more than a workday, *someone *to spearhead building the
enclosure outside the production room to house the automation computer, EAS
machine & reports.  Person doing it before (Randall Hawkins?) may have
specific plans we can build on.  All current DJ's need to be able to access
the EAS reports for FCC compliance. (Do all current DJ's have the current
Production room code?  And is "DJ" ok or should I say "airshifter"?)

Ricardo is proposing two one-hour shows, a U of I Extention en Espanol
something, and an immigration issues something else.  They would be 3-4pm on
Tuesday and Thursday, and would bump the Radio Bilingue webstream back an
hour (on those days only?  I'm still unclear).  We thought that would be
fine.  Tom expects to train him Saturday.

The Automation group wants every DJ to be required, a month into their show,
to record a show that could be put into the automation computer and used as
backup "evergreen" version of your show.  We thought this was a good idea,
and noticed that as a *policy change* proposal it should be open to
discussion, put into writing for next meeting, posted in print, then decided
upon in the meeting after that.  Because that's the policy.

That's all I got.  Thanks for being you.
Jacob